View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:24 am

Advise needed on Leica compact binoculars! 
Poult

Post Advise needed on Leica compact binoculars!
Hell All Binocular Gurus!

I'm an absolute newbie to binoculars having never owned one! And hence I'm reaching out for some advise...

My son is coming up two and I'm anticipating a lot more outdoors activity, occasional bird watching, sports esp. cricket, concerts, safari trips etc. and hence looking for a top-notch compact all-rounder... after a lot of rummaging, I kind of narrowed down on Leica Ultravid 8x20 or 10x25, and even visited the Leica shop here in the City (Royal Exchange). I loved both, esp the 8x20 for it's compact size whilst compromising on the FoV. I'm pretty sure if I went for anything larger 10x42 I wouldn't be carrying it around as often! :)

So I've two questions:

1. Any preference between 8x20 or 10x25, I ask only because I've read more than once that 8x is usually better to focus and steadier than 10x

2. More importantly, what's exactly the difference between the Colorline range which is considerably more expensive...?! E.g. 8x20 is c.450 whereas the Colorline version is c.700... I'm unable to find much on the web including Leica's website, and even the guy at the shop was clueless...! I've asked them to find out and revert, but nothing yet... I'm wondering if spending an extra £250 on Colorline is worth it...?!?!

Would be grateful for any guidance!!!

Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:09 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: Advise needed on Leica compact binoculars!
Just for fun I will try to answer your question. Anything Leica is pretty good stuff. I personally like Steiner and others are big on Swarovski. I also like Leupold but doubt you can get them in the UK. As for power, 8 is usually sufficient in doing most application but of course 10 brings thing closer. Since you want something small for carry I'd go with the 8X. They will fit in you pocket. As for focus and steadiness, I'd think both use nearly identical focus mechanisms. So I don't see where that would make a difference. As for steadiness, the 8X is moving as much as the 10X but you just don't notice it. Anytime you increase magnification it will appear that you are less steady. You're not, it just appears that way because of the amplification of ambient light also amplifies movement. Can't get one without the other.
Personally for your application go with the 8X. I have Steiner 8X and they work marvelously for viewing our jousting competitions though not needed too much ring side.

As for the Colorline option I'd say go for it. If you are strapped for money talk to daddy and he'll front you the money. Colorline helps bring out the true colors of the environment. As you know, all binocular glass is multi-coated. Those coatings, though useful cause distortions in color-phase and thus alter what color makes it to your eye. The colorline process reduces this distortion and allows brilliant ambient color to come through to your eye. Many hear won't be caught without it though better glass may not cause as much of an issue as with Leica. If you find it too costly than just buy the lessor glass and you'll probably still be happy.

So, to wrap things up, buy the 8X20 colorline Leica binos. Of course you may want to go up a little more and buy the binos with the rangefinder built in, but that is a whole different story.

Hope you enjoy your purchase. No matter which way you go I'm sure you will enjoy.
Cherio!
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:05 pm