View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:27 am

Up and down youth day.. 
King of Spring

Post Up and down youth day..
My Youngest got a little 5 point in the morning.. tickled him and me..

My Oldest and I let a good 10 point get away that evening.. just bad luck.. hung a double set in this corner of a bean field.. knew time was running out on them using these beans, but still had two nice bucks showing up on camera in daylight the last week or so .. my stand was facing the woods and his the field.. he had turned to look at something in the woods .. the buck came out at that exact time and walked right by my trail cam and it snapped these pics while we were up the tree.. Luke turned back around the buck saw him move and ran.. I never did see the buck.. only in pictures now .. too bad this was Luke's last youth day for deer.. he is aged out .. he never dill kill one on youth deer day.. feel like I let him down.. in hindsight I should have probably hung the stand a bit further down the treeline, but I hung it to be able to bow hunt it the first week too :(

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:15 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Up and down youth day..
Congratulations on a perfectly shot 5 pointer.

I know how you and Luke feel. I felt the same for my one grandson. But believe me you did not let anyone down. You have taught your sons well over the years about hunting and the outdoors. The experience and knowledge you have showed them over the years will help them become stronger in life events and great stewards of our natural resources. So no you did not let anyone down. Yes when we go to the woods to hunt a clean ethical kill would be nice but what you personally have done for them besides a kill is something to be proud of. Besides you know that with that beautiful 10 point hanging around that another great day will be shared in the woods with family. And what a great opportunity for Luke to now focus and figure out that buck for the remainder of the year. I am sure we will be seeing that buck in a different picture format soon.

Oh, hindsight. Hunting would not be the same without it. :D

Earl

Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:47 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Randy , I think I can say with some confidence that you have NEVER let your boys down. Ever. :D

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:06 am
King of Spring

Congrats on a fine 5 point. Is that his first? I feel I have let my son down on occasion too. I get him out as much as possible. Sometimes getting him away from the computer is tough. Too bad on the 10, but I think you will have another shot at him. Might want to move the stand slightly. He will be checking out that tree every time he enters the field.

You are doing a fine job. If nothing else spending time with them is the important thing, a nice buck is just bonus.

V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:07 pm
King of Spring

Thanks guys.. Luke and I will probably go back to this spot with the crossbow for him this weekend sometime.. the other buck is actually a little bigger than that one, not sure if they have split up yet, or he was just back in the woods still when this one spooked.. the problem is about 5 other guys hunt this place too, so I'm sure it will be crowded this weekend :) ..

Vic, that is Gunner's 2nd buck .. he killed a spike last year in WV. Luke has killed a basket 8 point, but he is picky and wants a nice one now.. :) He passed a 3 point after we let this one get away last Saturday. I will pull that stand about the 2nd week of bow season as in my experience once they start to rut a little and the beans start turning they stop using them.. sometimes I will get a late night picture on beans, but I think they are just looking for does at that point, I know there are more than this one that come out in that spot of the bean field, and I just don't have time to move it and then plan to pull it anyway..

Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:53 am
King of Spring

Understand the time crunch. I am lucky to get out once a week. You going to WV for fall turkey? I am probably going on the 17th and hunting through the weekend. Youth firearms season is on the 20th, so can do both that day.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:11 am
King of Spring

Vic wrote:
Understand the time crunch. I am lucky to get out once a week. You going to WV for fall turkey? I am probably going on the 17th and hunting through the weekend. Youth firearms season is on the 20th, so can do both that day.
V

I doubt it.. if I go I will probably be bow hunting.. I don't fall hunt much anymore for Turkey.. I probably should more.. if I can scatter some or watch them go to roost sometimes I will go the next morning some..

Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:42 pm
King of Spring

I was going to do a more active turkey hunt but my friend who owns the property said his plans had changed and we now have to change with him. I think my son and I are going to be locked into one edge of the property so we are probably going to have to hunt them more like deer just calling from a fixed blind. I am okay with this since it was going to be the area we focused on anyway. Will try to impact his deer hunting as minimal as possible. If it gets too bad we just won't go and hunt MD muzzleloader instead.
V

-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:12 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Congrats again Randy and Gunner. Amazing how the spammers that hit the forum bing up these old topics from years ago

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:21 pm