View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:49 am

bow hunting newbie?!?! 
King of Spring

Post bow hunting newbie?!?!
Ok guys...

I have done the crossbow thing for a couple years now, but I have not gotten into it at all. A lot of it has to do with the fact that I haven't had anybody to enjoy it with at all, and honestly I'm no good at it!! Well this year I have reconnected with an old friend of mine that is an avid bow hunter! I told him that my goal this past spring was to make sure he killed his first spring turkey, but he had to get me my first bow kill! Wellllll..... I delivered on my part or the deal so now it's his turn! The fact is, I don't have a lot of money to spend on hunting equipment and cannot get the best of the best items! I do look for good bargains and am pretty good at it. However, I can't afford a new bow and all the accessories! Well my buddy hooked me up with one of his bows that he doesn't use, so now I'm on a good path. Got my draw weight and length adjusted today and some arrows cut to size. Now I need a couple other things to go with and then practice and scout.. and practice and scout in preparation for the bow opener!
With that said! Avid bow hunters, I need your help/advice! What are your tips to become a successful bow hunter? And what are some must haves for bow hunting (ie releases, rests, sights, gear, etc) ?
I'm a big researcher especially when I am getting started in something, and I can't think of a better group of guys to get me started down the right path to taking my first bow kill!!

So please help!!

Ohhh... here's a little food for the soul, this guy showed up 30 yards from my back door the other day!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:21 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: bow hunting newbie?!?!
I would say first and foremost: stay away from watching most the TV hunting shows....they are mostly a lot of marketing hype and that is why I haven't looked at one for many years. There is a lot of good info out there. Archery talk forums can be a pretty good resource. I read it occasionally or if I have a specific question I am looking for an answer for.

John Eberhart did a series of videos about 10 years ago. I would definitely recommend them to help understand what you need to be looking for in scouting and setting up as a bow hunter. Also, the book "Mapping Trophy Whitetails" is now widely considered a classic with good info.

I shoot a Matthews Legacy, which is a single cam bow. I bought it new 13 years ago when my first bow was stolen. Just had the string and cables replaced for the second time this week. It is a good reliable bow and requires little tuning. There is no need to buy a new bow very often if you get set up on a good one. Finding a good pro-shop is a must. I drove past 2-3 to get my bow restrung because I want the peace of mind knowing it was done right. I highly recommend a Mathews solo cam and finding a good bow shop to set up. Buy once, cry once. Bowhunting is not cheap but if you buy quality up front it will last many years.

My bow is the legacy. I use a whisker biscuit rest and definitely recommend that....arrows won't fall to the ground if they pop of the string in the stand. I also highly recommend a self turning peep sight tied into the string and a kisser button. The kisser helps with muscle memory ensuring your face is lined up on the string the same way each time.

I use a release. Not many guys shooting fingers on compound bows. I have an armortech HD site and highly recommend that. It is expensive, but will last a lifetime. It is well built, fully adjustable and extremely reliable.

I use fixed blade broadheads. For years I used NAP nitrons. They were discontinued years ago and I have about run out, so I also use NAP hellrazor.

A climbing stand is also a must. Also I recommend limiting shots to under 30 yards. If you don't already wear rubber hunting boots, get them for bowhunting.

Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Alrighty then! Lol!
Thanks Neil for the advice man! I will definitely keep everyone of those in mind!

Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:29 pm
King of Spring

Stay Scent Free ! :smt023

Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:50 pm
King of Spring

There must not be a lot of bowhunters over on the campfire, because this is a heck of a deal on a great, lifetime sight:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... 10272716/1

Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
Jake

What has worked for me bow hunting deer is:

1. Aim for the heart. Most deer I've shot have ducked at the sound of the bow being shot. If the deer ducks, arrow hits the lungs, if the deer doesn't move (rare for me) it will be a heart shot.

2. I use a climber and rarely hunt the same tree twice. I like to stay mobile and hunt fresh sign.

3. Scent control, but play the wind.

4. hunt where no one else wants to go...

I like the huntingbeast.com. Lots of good information and the moderators do a good job.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:51 am
King of Spring

Hope your adventure into bow hunting this year hooks you for life. Here are my tips...

1. Practice, practice, practice. Get in your climbing stand or in a ladder stand and shoot from hunting height. Practice drawing your bow from your stand.
2. Wear that safety belt. Always. No exception!
3. Buy two sets of broadheads and practice with one set. Been hunting with fixed blade Muzzy for many years now. Like all the new expanding broadheads but more important is to find something that you have confidence in and stick with it.
4. Practice with some hunting clothes on. Gets hot in the summer doing this, but your draw will feel different with bulky clothes on and gloves.
5. Scent control is a must. Don't put your hunting clothes on until your park your vehicle at the hunt location. Store them in a scent free container.
6. Scout, scout, scout. You can't know too much about the deer you are hunting.
7. Don't be afraid to take some does with your bow. Each deer you kill with your bow builds confidence. Does eat better and there are more of them. Can't eat those horns!
8. Deploy a ground blind brushed in where treestand is not possible. A very effective tactic when done right and often in areas that other bow hunters don't hunt.
9. Aim small, hit small. Easy to look at the whole deer and miss badly. Pick out a 2-3" spot where you want that arrow to hit. Watch the arrow hit and see the deer's reaction.
10. Give that deer time to expire. Don't rush the tracking job. Mark landmarks where the deer was when you shot and where you last saw the deer. Go get a tracking buddy to help. Four eyes are better than two.
11. Enjoy the fall woods! Deer are far more relaxed before the gun seasons start up.

Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:55 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I've been hunting since 1985 & I watched VHS videos back then and the lessons learned are still valuable:
Bowhunting October Whitetails (I & II) w/ Barry Wensel.
If you watch some of the old videos you don't get all the sales hype & product push.

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:37 pm
King of Spring

brwndg wrote:
I've been hunting since 1985 & I watched VHS videos back then and the lessons learned are still valuable:
Bowhunting October Whitetails (I & II) w/ Barry Wensel.
If you watch some of the old videos you don't get all the sales hype & product push.

That is an excellent video, it's available on DVD as well thru Amazon. I had a copy at one time I got back in the early 90's when my hunting career was starting. Worth the purchase.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:27 am