View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:38 am

Packing Out 
King of Spring

Post Packing Out
I know for a lot of us half the battle of deer hunting is getting your deer out the woods. My question is what do alot of y'all do especially when you cant drive right up to your deer. I dont own a four wheeler or buggy to drive through the woods I've seen a few things here lately like deer carts sort of like wheel barrows to drag them out but sum places i hunt the gully's are like mountains and the farmer dosen't want vehicles in his fields, and when i hunt solo it's a heck of a drag. I'm really consider packing a rope and sum pully's and a couple of trash bags and do it like they do out in Colorado or Alaska come out with the meat and head( I'm not sure the rule on it I think it says as long has you have the head or sum id of the Animal carcass)?

Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:45 pm
Profile YIM
Longbeard

Post Re: Packing Out
Sounds like a good idea to me. I don't think you need ropes and pulley though. Check you-tube for how to videos. They make back packs just for this purpose, and mesh bags for the meat to keep insects/dirt out. Trash bags may trap heat and some come scented! The places I hunt I can get a four wheeler close, but I would do it if I had to. I think back to when I was a kid without a four wheeler and the places I have drug deer. I do not know how I did it.

Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:14 am
King of Spring

If you watch the videos on elk they don't use a gambrel and hoist, they do it right on the ground. They usually leave the hide on the legs and take the back straps out and put them in a bag. You would need a good pack and knife. dragging out a deer solo is painful, packing out a deer solo also isn't great. At least you don't have to carry all those bones though.

Most of the places I hunt are not too bad a drag. I usually hunt with friends and they help. I have used game carts and with logs and such they are still a pain. I have seen one that looks interesting, almost looks like a stretcher with a single mountain bike type wheel under it. It even has a hand brake. That could be interesting. They aren't cheap though.

Regards,
Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:06 am
King of Spring

Fred Eichler has a good video where he quarters an elk cow without field dressing her and even shows how to remove the inner loin. Same principle can be applied to a whitetail.

Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:42 am
Jake

No wheeler here and I'll pack 'em out on my back if I'm way back and nobody's around to help drag. Also will quarter in the field and pack em out in some of my urban spots so I can keep from giving the joggers and dog walkers something to complain about. Randy Newberg had a good video online about "the gutless method."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7AHA2TyqHo

You'll need a good pack with a frame. This one is pretty small as far as framed hunting packs go and is perfect for whitetail hunting. I can get a whole deer out in one trip. One hindquarter, one shoulder, one backstrap, and one tenderloin in each game bag. One game bag in the pack and one on the meat shelf. If I wanted to keep a whole head or head and cape for a mount, I could pretty easily lash it to the pack. A good saw is pretty helpful too, especially for getting a rack off in the woods.

Here's a litte 8 pt. I quartered and packed out earlier this month.

Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:16 pm
Jake

If you have two people, quartering and packing one out is definitely the way to go. 2 people could quarter a deer in 30 minutes and then just walk out with it if you are in good shape. Way easier than dragging one for a few miles up a and down mountains, been there done that and will probably do it again. Every time I drag one off a mountain (sorry to my dragging hunting buddies!) I say I will never do it again!

I have packed a quartered buck solo and my pack weighed 75 lbs for what its worth (I had already taken by gear back to the truck and got my bigger pack), that was taking all of the bones except for the ribs. If you cut the meat off of the bone then you would have significantly less weight. My plan for when I shoot another solo is to take my hunting gear, climbing stand and one quarter out on the first trip and then come back with my empty pack for the rest. I hunt with a Badlands 2200 where I have the option to unfold a "shelf" to pack a quarter or a few quarters pretty easily.

Deer carts have their place and if you have enough people dragging and carrying works, but if you butcher your own deer just cut them up in the woods!

Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:20 am
2 Year Old

I can ham, loin, shoulder, and neck roast a deer in roughly ten minutes in the mountains right on the ground. If he's a mounter I'll cape him out and spin his head off. If I euro mount him cut around base of neck and spin. If I for some reason shoot a buck to small to do either I caring a little folding saw and cut his horns off his head. Carrying the meat out is way easier than dragging. Sometimes it's all down hill to my truck which isn't bad at all but if I'm way back in the mountains I just notch my tag and skin them out on the ground.

Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:44 pm