View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:43 pm

Black Powder 
Boss Gobbler

Post Black Powder
Does anyone know where a guy can buy black powder in Virginia? Preferably not too far from Roanoke. I'm guessing Green Ridge and/or Bass Pro will have it. Hoping to get that way sometime, just not sure when.

Really dislike $25 hazmat fees and would rather take a short road trip than pay it :mrgreen: Sportsmen Warehouse doesn't sell it. Still need to check Gander.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Post Re: Black Powder
Did you check Miller's and Whitetail in Christiansburg?

2gbl

Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:14 pm
Boss Gobbler

Not yet, thanks. Need to stop by Darrels anyway, since I moved back to Roanoke I hardly get by there.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

Whitetail doesn't sell it. Going to be at Millers in a bit to see. Found a place in Winchester :shock: that sells all favors of it. A bit far of a drive.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:26 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

if i knew in time i could have bought you some at the sale in fries..sorry tscott

Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:25 am
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

I appreciate it. Millers in Christiansburg has Goex in FFg or FFFg. I bought a pound.

Hope to find some Olde Eynsford in the near future.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Glad you found it. Curious as to what you use it for. Tommy is first class and will get other stuff for you if he doesn't have it in the store.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:44 pm
Boss Gobbler

It's for my TC Hawken. I'm wanting to use a traditional muzzleloader some this year.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:40 am
Profile WWW
Longbeard

That is all my father used for years! Killed plenty of deer and turkey with it, too. He has a Seneca, which is a lighter version of it, that I used when I first got started.

After I get a few notches in the inline I just bought, I am hoping to squander one of the two from him and do it the traditional way.

Good luck!

Royce

Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:38 pm
Boss Gobbler

Thanks Royce! Good luck to you also :mrgreen:

Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:32 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Scott I'm using the same gun this year. Question for you. Last year was the first year I used the gun. First time I tried to shoot it the gun would not fire. Scared the pooh out of me. I just sat it to the side . I had to buy a ball puller to remove the load. Not sure what I did wrong.

Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:01 pm
Boss Gobbler

Sidelocks are very temperamental.

- If you oil the barrel and then stand it up in a corner or gun safe the oil can all run to the powder drum and not fire.
- The nipple may have oil in it and blocked some of the flame
-The nipple may have build up in it and blocked some of the flame
- Wrong powder
-Bad primer
-Moisture in the barrel

Lots of ways to go wrong :mrgreen: Be careful with ball pullers also. They can pull the end of your ramrod off if it's not pinned. Sometimes you can pull the nipple and put a small charge of powder there and replace the nipple and get it to fire. You can also buy a CO2 discharger kit.... http://www.cabelas.com/product/CO-Load- ... 706432.uts

Also, this is the best instructions I've seen for cleaning a TC Hawken.... http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-p ... oader.html

Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:10 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I found the best way to keep the caplock from misfiring is to shoot 2-3 caps in the chamber before loading...clears the moisture from the chamber.

Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I always pulled the barrel from the hooked breach and cleaned with hot soapy water. The hotter the better. Never use oil with a MZL, causes problems for me. I use Bore Butter.

I got an email a few days ago from Midway, they have a big muzzle loader sale going on. They might have FFG powder for sale if you still need some.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:14 am