View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:46 am

View from a stand.... 
King of Spring

Post View from a stand....
I have been hunting this location for many years, and it's a great but tricky spot. I think I finally cracked the code on the best stand location last year. Anyway, it's a funnel with a pond and a pasture catty corner to each other necking down two large blocks of timber....one open mature hardwoods (neighbors) and the other thinned out hardwoods/thicket (my place).

View to the right. After the season last year I cut a shooting lane at an angle 120 yards up to the property line. Should have done it a long time ago....always here deer moving around up there but can't see them.

View to the left over the pond. I have a clover plot on the near side. On the far side, I killed of the vegetation over the summer and planted no plough last week, which is sprouting now. You can see the brown spots where the vegetation was killed. The pines and cedars in the near ground are what keep me from being picked of by the deer coming down the hill through the woods on the opposite side.

This is the view straight ahead. I thinned out enough to get a shot, but still pretty thick.

Here's the small clover plot by the stand....which is the treeline at the far end on the right.

Anyway, I can't wait to hunt this stand this year. I may save it until muzzleloader, undecided at this point.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:38 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: View from a stand....
Very nice. I spent Saturday opening lanes for my son's stands. We have 3 two man stands and 2 are awesome. May move number 3 but want to give it this year to decide. They were really grown in and needed much work. My extension pruner got a real work out.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:30 am
King of Spring

Looking good.. I need to go hang stands and cut some lanes this month sometime.. seems harder to find the time the older I get for some reason..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:08 am
King of Spring

WVBOY wrote:
Looking good.. I need to go hang stands and cut some lanes this month sometime.. seems harder to find the time the older I get for some reason..

Haha Randy i know what you are talking about!

Doug

Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:52 pm
King of Spring

This stand paid off for me yesterday. I through my back out Friday but had been planning to hunt Saturday afternoon for a while and was really looking forward to it....so I sucked it up and went. I took a decent buck that stepped out at the very end of the shooting lane. I have three years of pics of him. He showed up on trail cam for the first time this year 2 days before I shot him. My best buck off the farm in several years.

A pic from last year:

Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

Congratulations Neil! :mrgreen:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:38 am
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Congrats Neill! Show us some pictures of this guy

Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:23 pm
King of Spring

All that work paid off. I am sure dragging him out was both a pleasure and pain. Congrats.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:08 am
King of Spring

Wish I had a few more pics! Only pic I got was my son with him, last pic on a roll of film on my mother's camera that will have to be sent off. I will boil out the skull and do a Euro mount. He is a main frame 10, a little over 130 inches.

Last edited by Neill on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Very Nice Man.. congrats..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:46 am