View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:54 am

Virginia turkey dog graduates in Wisconsin 
2 Year Old

Post Virginia turkey dog graduates in Wisconsin
Lucky's track starts at the truck at the top right. We walked in a waterway through the soybean field. When we got to the narrow strip of woods (~20 acres total), Lucky checked it out mostly to the left, before heading across the power line grass to the next strip of woods. I remarked to Don how some guys will yell at their dog to come back and check out that spot to the right, but I think the dog knows better and let them go where they want to go, Don agreed (he has a friend like that who always wants to tell his dog where to go).

Next thing Lucky finds 8 gobblers ahead to the left (near the bottom of the picture). I think they were outside the woods in the corn field, she got them all up into the trees. I could've shot one that Keena was barking at in the tree. It was watching Keena barking and Don's GSP Harley running around under the tree so the bird never saw me. But, I couldn't see it's ~8" beard through the leaves until he leaned ahead just prior to launching out of the tree. I wasn't in any hurry to use my only tag anyway.

When we turned around to go back, Lucky checked out the 2 strips of woods to the left, just to make sure. So she had everything covered. She did absolutely great. I had never hunted that little woods, but my neighbor Don said it'd be good to try. Glad we did. Now I know Lucky really has it figured out. Her and Keena make a good team.
http://www.turkeydog.org/luckydog.html

Attachments:
LuckysTrack Oct 2-13.JPG
LuckysTrack Oct 2-13.JPG [ 169.89 KiB | Viewed 1682 times ]

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:27 am
Profile WWW