View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Jeff S. 
King of Spring

Post Jeff S.
Hows that new puppy coming along?

Earl

Sat May 26, 2012 3:48 pm
Longbeard

Post Re: Jeff S.
Thanks for asking. He is doing great. He chases a turkey wing real well. He will run behind it and after a while I will let him catch it and chew it a bit. When I take it away from him I tease him with it and get him barking - then I let him have it again. He really likes the frozen turkey feet - he'll take it and hide in a bush and chew on it.

I took him to Phelps this past weekend (really early - around 6am to avoid the heat). It was nice to get him off leash and see him run around and explore. he doesn't wander too far but is curious and explored a lot. Good to see him go over fallen trees and limbs - he is definitely not shy about busting through brush. We didn't see any turkeys or tracks for that matter. He did eat a snake skin I found. It looked like a kid eating cotton candy. The skin was about 5 ft long and he ate it before I could get it away from him. It came out latter in the day - worse for the experience. I did discover that advantix did not work worth a darn. Picked off about 10 ticks off of him. They are hard to get out of the double coat. The vet gave me this new frontline called Certifect that is suppose to work better. It has amitraz in it that affects the nervous system of the tick - thus killing it.

Percy weighs almost 10 lbs. He has gained 4 lbs in the last 4 weeks (he is 12 weeks old now). He has to be the smartest dog I have had. He has learned sit, down, stay, here and is working on heel. I swear he even watches the TV when I am watching Pure Turkey and Primos turkey videos. I have him sit with me on the couch while watching and practicing calling.

I am waiting for him to get alittle bigger before I start having him trail turkey carcasses and guts. Hopefully I can get him busting up some hens and poults this September. We will definitely be out at the Q come September to do some scouting and training. I also have permission on some private land in Clarke that usually has some poults and hens. I am curious to see when the Virginia Game comes out with the season dates for next year. I have my fingers crossed for an earlier start for the fall turkey season. But we are having a lot of fun even if I am tired from getting up in the middle of the night to let him out.

Thu May 31, 2012 3:15 pm