View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 am

PA 2017 
King of Spring

Post PA 2017
Sorry no pic, have not got new host yet. This past season in PA I thought I was back in the 50's. Hunted one area (private and public) 5 days and only seen 2 birds. Only heard one bird gobble 2 times, but he was on land I did not have permission.
Went back up the last week for 3 days to another part of the State on public land. Heard 2 first day and could not get a good set up (new land). The second day nothing. The third day went back to where I heard 2 the first day. Knew the lay of the land better. Owl hooted once and got a response 400 yards. So I remembered this draw and saddle from 2 days ago and was able to get about 100 yards and a little above him. Once set up gave a soft tree yelp and he answered (not very loud). He gobbled again once on the ground and I gave a couple clucks. Next time he gobbled I felt the vibration of it. Where the heck was he. I already had the gun up and froze so to speak in place. I was cramping up, but then just noticed a little flicker of something just left of my gun barrel 25 yards out. He was half exposed but standing just perfectly still and no trees between him and me. It looked like he turned his head and neck to look back and thought should I then :smt017 or wait till he maybe turns to leave :smt023 , only had to move the barrel about 4 inches so started ever so slowly but he seen it and putted. :smt021Dang that 270 degree vision :x At that time I had only a small adjustment and started squeezing the trigger and as soon as it was on his caruncles the dead silence and standoff was over.

Earl

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:06 am
King of Spring

Post Re: PA 2017
Congrats on a bird in new terrain. I hunted Western Maryland for a number of years and was happy to hear a bird period. Two seasons back I didn't hear but one on private land and decided I had enough. Hunted WV this year and had good luck. Glad you had better sense than me to change locations. Congrats again.
Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:23 pm