View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am

Spring 2017 Friends Hunts 
King of Spring

Post Spring 2017 Friends Hunts
This first one was with Jim. We are 3 years in a row on one day hunts on rainy days with his blind. We bring our own coffee but he brings the donuts. This year we got the blind set up in the woods about 20 yards off a woods road. I set my decoys out on the road. About 1/2 hour after light I did not like the decoy set. Since not hearing anything I went out and adjusted the decoys. Just as I finished the set I stood there and hit the trumpet a bird gobbled about 250 yards. Jumped back in the blind. Jim did not hear the bird. I hit the trumpet again and this time 2 birds gobbled to our right. He said he heard them and they were only about 125 yards out. So now we had three birds, I must have adjusted them decoys just right. :D Well the 2 on the right wanted to play in the rain. Of course they came up on my side and out around to the right, never seen the decoys. They walked on away from us so out came the magic box and yes they came back or at least the one did. Came in to our right front and then started heading out around the front of the blind at about 35 yards where he hit the ground. Dang, never got a chance for a 2nd donut and coffee.Image

Another day took out one of the foresters on base. We walked in a woods road and about 1/2 mile in a gobbler answered my single owl hoot. Of course he was down in a 2 year old cut over/selective cut with slashes. So in we went for about 200 yards and heard him answer a call and he was on the ground. Although he was 200 yards from us we could not get closer. I told Justin lets get set up the best we could in the cut over and slashes. He sat so he had about 30 yard shot here and there in front and the sides. Since the bird was across a little creek I thought lets see what he does. So I made another call on the trumpet and he gobbled. He then gobbled on his own for the next 20 minutes back and forth on the other side of the creek. I then cutt at him, no answer. But 10 minutes later I heard a bird sounded like a dozer coming through the slaches to our right. I then seen Justin do a 45 degree around the tree and then contorted his 6'3" frame further. I could tell the bird was right there but could not see him. Just then boom, :D Justin must have seen him. I then seen Justin stand and shot again, uhoh. :( He then said down. :D When I got to where the bird laid and looked back at the tree where Justin was I said, how did you get a shot. He said kneel down, see that oh maybe 10 inch opening. He said when I clucked he stopped and raised his head to look expossing his beard on up. Talk about blind luck.Image

More to come,

Earl

Last edited by Greyghost on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:53 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Spring 2017 Friends Hunts
Fun reading this morning, Thanks Earl!

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:57 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Spring 2017 Friends Hunts
Turkey in trade for donuts, sounds fair.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:47 am