View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm

Best Of Spring 2017 
King of Spring

Post Best Of Spring 2017
This past spring as in years past is taking wounded warriors, disabled and friends out in hopes of seeing and helping them get a bird and enjoy the experience. Here are a few hunts from this past spring.

This one was a wounded warrior hunt. The lady was wounded in Iraq and this year she brought her son along. This was her 3rd year here but the first I took her out hoping this year would be the year for her. I had scouted this one area the base was keeping closed till after the WW hunt. Scouting it one morning I heard 11 birds, another morning different part I heard 7. So that morning of the hunt we set up along the edge of a power line. Set out 2 decoys on the power line. Sun up came and an hour later still did not hear a bird. I knew we had to hold tight that birds were around the area. I was throwing out calls with the box and got a response 300 yards across the power line. Later got another response closer but on the other side of the power line. I did not call again but 10 minutes later off to the right on our side of the power line here he comes. He passed within 10 yards of our brushed in set up and then headed out to the decoys where the long quest was accomplished. What a great moment for me letting the mother and son go out to the bird and hugging each other. I let them soak it all in before joining them.Image

Another WW hunt was later as we accomedant any WW or disabled hunter any time. Then myself and a couple other hunters are lined up to take them out.
This hunt was with a Marine Maj. that was was wounded in Afgan. It was at the same place I took a disabled retired Col the day before and since after the Col got his bird and there were 4 birds that were left I figured why not. So got the Maj. set up about 100 yards from the previous days kill. Of course heard nothing off roost and sat there till 0800. We both were getting a little stiff so I said lets get up and go up behind us and check out a bottom. We walked up this old logging road about 100 yards from where we were. Just before going around a bend and where it drops down over. Hit the box, I was cut off from just around the bend and down over about 125 yards. A quick lets sit right off the bend at a small tree and bushes. I called again and a double gobble. We both agreed he was coming up the road. After 5 minutes I was thinking where is he and what call to use, but I only had my box out. At that time the Maj. said there he his in the woods. I did not see him but told him to adjust as best he could. The Maj. made a 90 degree adjustment and I said where the heck is that bird. I then seen him walking down a ridge line 70 yards out heading right down towards our original set up :shock: . All i could do was cluck with the box a couple times and thank goodness that was all he needed. He turned and came back up and as he was passing behind a blow down about 40 yards out I said, take the first good shot. The bird cleared the blowdown and turned looking our way but the Maj. only gave him one blink before it ended.

The picture below the Maj. pic was the retired Col bird from the day before.Image

More to follow,

Earl

Last edited by Greyghost on Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:23 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Best Of Spring 2017
Fantastic! Want to get more from your season, heck more from your life, here it is.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:51 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

What a great contribution to deserving hunters

Nice job

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:55 am
King of Spring

Wow.. congrats to all .. good work .. and thank you all for your service.

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:53 pm
King of Spring

Awesome! They look very happy.

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:44 am