View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

Leon Johenning Recording 
King of Spring

Post Leon Johenning Recording
https://soundcloud.com/user-788295847/leon-johenning

Here is a sound file from Leon Johenning and him giving instruction and use of his call. Mr. Johenning wrote a great little book back in the early 60's, The Turkey Hunters Guide from the Lexington Press in VA. He had 3 printings of the book the first and very rare and collectable book shows a hunter walking through a field with a turkey over his back and gun slung over his shoulder. There were only 100 of the first printing and only about 20 know in collections. I am lucky to have one from a friend who was a friend of Mr. Johenning. The other 2 printings were 500 each and still can be found. In it and the recording above has the wild cat call in it. Leon passed away in the early 70's but his legacy is still well known to older turkey hunters and his teaching are in my opinion one of the better instruction on turkey hunting that if followed would lead others to a better understanding of turkeys and hunting them.

Hope you enjoy it.

Earl

Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:11 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Leon Johenning Recording
My goodness...no wonder I have had so much trouble with a diaphragm All this time Ive been making the call on an exhale through the call and this recording says all calls are made on the inhale of air across the diaphragm. I feel like the guy in the old joke who , after cutting many many trees with his brand new chainsaw and complaing in about how difficult it was , was startled to hear a friend pick it up and start the gas engine for the first time ever on that saw. """Whats that noise/!!?"""

Seriously now, Leon's diaphragm was a whole different design than the current fit in your mouth models which are all exhale to my knowledge. His calls were an external box that fit front of your mouth and were inhale driven. If GG and I were not so photo challenged maybe we could post a picture of this box which would make the call design more clear.

The recording is very interesting if you listen to all of it. Thanks GG for putting this up.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:30 am
King of Spring

I don't know what his call looked like to operate on drawing air, but that guy could certainly play it well.
Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:08 am
King of Spring

https://www.google.com/patents/US2833086

I am still trying to get all my pics in my Iphoto and then to photobucket from this spring to post up here. I only know of 2 fellows that use his call and use it very well and effectively. I never got the hang of it to use in the field.

But above is the patenite link for the call just have to put it together in your mind. :smt017

Will try and find a pic of it and have my granddaughter load it up, she is coming over this afternoon. She ran out of some fly tying material and of course is coming to raid Earl's Fly Shop. :D

Earl

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:01 pm
King of Spring

http://www.vaturkey.com/discus/messages ... 1047783598

Look what I found T. Scott put up on here about15 years ago. Thanks. Man you guys are old. :D

Earl

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:04 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

older...maybe not wiser :)

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:53 pm
King of Spring

This is why I love this site .. just don't see this anywhere else.. and that guy sure could run that call

Take me Home Country Roads.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:19 pm