View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

Evolving Into A Modern Turkey Hunter 
King of Spring

Post Evolving Into A Modern Turkey Hunter
Well last year started wearing a leafy camo jacket, a camo ball cap. This year started using decoys that was surprized how well they worked. Being able to see the actions of gobblers and hens on the decoys was very entertaining. Never used them for the birds I took, but for the wounded warriors and disabled hunters I took out and was very successful on all their hunts. Others I took out they were more experienced hunters and were not deployed, but most all those hunts were successful. Then after the wife went along on 6 hunts and 4 of those hunts she got shots at a bird and ended up rolling 2 and missing 2 for next year she requested a 20 gauge with a scope of some kind.
Also for the rainy days A blind does come in handy, so will likely be picking one of them up. Although if I am by myself I will still utalize rain gear and deal with the elements that rain down on me.

I will continue though and wear my Filson pants and vest and will never ever give up my side by sides or one over/under (rainy day gun). Although the trumpet has brought me into the modern age I will on occasions use my cow horn and wingbone.

So thanks to GN, WVBOY, Hody, VIC, Brwng, Vaturkhntr, birddog and a couple others have proved one or some can teach an old dog new tricks.

I will over the next month or 2 start compiling pics and stories of this past spring and posting them over the fall winter seasons coming up so we can still feel in the turkey mode, although the best turkey hunting is during those months it seems a little slow on here so folks can sit back with a hot coffee by a warm wood fire and reflect also on their hunts of this past spring.

Earl

Fri May 26, 2017 6:57 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Evolving Into A Modern Turkey Hunter
Looking forward to the rest of the reports and the pictures. I've got some unreported bird stories too. So we may just leak them out from time to time.

The " modern era" is not so bad when it is a monsoon and you are in that waterproof ( well almost waterproof) blind. That scope will solve many problems for old eyes too.

You noted earlier you had heard bad Decoys stories where birds appeared to spook off the Decoys. I have heard some folks in here say the same thing. hunted with a decoy out every day of the season and except for a Va bird in the woods every one of the birds I killed or a friend with me killed with me was , in fact, killed with a decoy in the field. So it's hard for me to accept statements that they don't work. Many things could cause birds to spook while a decoy is in the field and I think it's hard to say it's solely because of the decoy. Now I do hunt in fields and pasture the vast amount of the time and clearly that is where Decoys are IMO most effective.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Fri May 26, 2017 1:24 pm
King of Spring

I use decoys a lot too, though I am considering using them less while running and gunning. Last year I did have some issues with my jake decoy. There were a couple bully jakes running around whooping up on lone Toms. I had a Tom coming several times and saw him veer off when he saw the Jake. Other than that my jake has put a lot of meat in the freezer.
Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:17 am
King of Spring

Yea those blinds are nice. Have had a good friend that has a blind and decoys and for the last 3 years on one day hunts on a rainy day including this year while enjoying coffee and donuts while calling have called in a bird he took in all 3 situations. Its like an annual tradition now or at least till our luck runs out.

Earl

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:20 am
King of Spring

I have sat in a blind before. And have put out decoys before. But in the words of an old friend, to me it seems like "it just ain't a posta be dat way."

Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:00 am
Profile WWW
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Sort of like shooting one at 70 yards with pixie dust? Aint 'sposed to be that way either IMO. But then thats just my opinion , non binding on anybody.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:45 pm
King of Spring

Yep. But I've never killed one at 70 yds, or in a blind over decoys. Maybe one day...

Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

I'll tell you what. Rather than trade barbs with you Hawglips, I 'll just say each to his own. I know everyone here really appreciates your insights even though everyone may not apply them to their methods hunting.

- Archibald Rutledge

Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:26 pm
King of Spring

I don't mind the pixie dust barbs. I'm used to them by now. :wink:

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:38 am
Profile WWW