View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:23 am

Bearded hens 
Longbeard

Post Bearded hens
So I thought bearded hens were relatively uncommon. I saw a bearded Rio hen in TX 4 years ago but have never seen one in VA. I ended up harvesting 2 this year, one w/ a 7.75" beard & the other w/ an 8" beard. 2 buddies I talked to said they see them at their places but everyone else I talked to says they're pretty uncommon. Both birds were taken in different counties close to an hour apart. From what I understand, it's a testosterone / hormonal imbalance right? Is it hereditary (genetic)? Reason I'm asking is b/c one of the properties I hunt has a quite a few of them there.

Thu May 18, 2017 2:03 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Bearded hens
I believe it is a genetic trait.. so if you see one in an area you may see more.. I remember reading somewhere that it occurs in about 10% of the population overall.

I have seen probably 15 to 20 over my years of hunting.. never killed one, could have a couple of times.. but was always waiting on Mr. Tom, and I never feel right about killing future gobblers that might be in a nest somewhere in the spring.

Take me Home Country Roads.

Thu May 18, 2017 2:32 pm
King of Spring

It's just a little superficial genetic variation. Like a gobbler with 2 or more beards.

Thu May 18, 2017 6:04 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Ive seen a bunch over the years in various places I have hunted. One place i scout a good bit had three in a 15 bird flock this winter, and i think one of those has been there for maybe three years. I have several pictures of them. Like WVB l never had the desire to shoot one, but they are legal so its the hunters decision.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu May 18, 2017 8:41 pm
King of Spring

Like GN and WVBoy I too never had the desire to shoot one, get the feeling it would be bad luck.

From what I read it is about 1 in 100 hens have beards. Although they say many are capable of laying and hatching. I see maybe 3 every spring and fall at the Q. and from the reports there is sightings in about every area.

Earl

Mon May 22, 2017 3:38 pm
Jake

For what it's worth , in talking to Gary Norman , he once told me that from a purely statistical point of view, bearded hens are better brood hens , i.e. , they tend to rear more poults. Regardless, never had the desire to shoot one and if Gary is right , all the more reason not to.

Mon May 22, 2017 5:02 pm
King of Spring

I've never seen a bearded hen but a friend saw one on post up here. I have seen women with more and less facial hair. I would assume it is no different for turkeys. Guess some hens are just more burly than others.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:57 am