View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:07 am

WV Day 3 
King of Spring

Post WV Day 3
Set up in the field where the big tom was the day before. Took a blind because of course they were calling for rain. Blind up, decoys deployed, in and buttoned up by 0520. The day is getting brighter and we are looking around. I look out towards the wood edge and right around 6 I see a large bird fly down. No roost gobbling. I start to step up my calling and he starts to respond. He gets a little closer and starts to work around below us. Another few minutes and I hear nothing. I start to just call every 10 to 15 minutes and nothing. About 0730 Dale notices a hen outside the blind. Shortly she is joined by 2 jakes and son wants to take one. They go to the decoy and boom, jake flopping on the ground. We stay put of a while and still don't hear anything. It looks like rain might be heading our way and we pack up and go to my friend's house. I say we still have a tag open and ask if he wants to try and get another. Dale says yes. We start walking over the hill and I call every 50 yards or so. We cross where two right of ways cross and are almost on the 4 wheeler trail when I call again. Boom, hear a bird respond in the bottom. We set on the hill so we can see both the 4 wheeler trail and the right of way. I put a lone hen in a spot that can be seen from either. Once we get set I start to call again. 2 birds start to respond good and they start to walk up the right of way. Soon I can see them and am just waiting for them to get into a clear shot lane. After about 10 minutes one accomodates and I drop the hammer. Bird 2 down. Dale never saw it but I could. We end up doubling that day in a non-traditional sense and are having a great hunt. I check the bird out and he is a good 2 year old. We pack up and walk up the hill. Talk to my friend a little and need to get these birds cut up and on ice. We are leaving for another friend's house in Central WV for a Saturday hunt, but that's another story. Here's some pics.

Attachment:
WV Bird 2-3.2.jpg
WV Bird 2-3.2.jpg [ 230.5 KiB | Viewed 1582 times ]

Attachment:
WV Bird1.2.jpg
WV Bird1.2.jpg [ 73.04 KiB | Viewed 1582 times ]

Attachment:
WV Bird 3.2.jpg
WV Bird 3.2.jpg [ 212.39 KiB | Viewed 1581 times ]

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon May 15, 2017 3:14 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: WV Day 3
En Fuego :smt003 :smt003

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon May 15, 2017 4:12 pm
King of Spring

wow Vic you are on fire!!!!

Doug

Mon May 15, 2017 9:17 pm
King of Spring

yes sir!

Mon May 15, 2017 9:18 pm
King of Spring

In the worst weather possible no less, congrats all around!

Mon May 15, 2017 9:25 pm