View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am

WV Day 2 
King of Spring

Post WV Day 2
The second day in WV found rain and more rain. The alarm went off, I shut it off and looked at the satellite image, not good. I decided to just roll over and go back to sleep. I wake up around 7 and the satellite image is looking better. Looks like the rain is heading east and will clear the area in about an hour. I grab Dale, we snarf down a poptart and head to the farm. I think if nothing else it is a great time to recon some more. We take a right to get on the lane to my friend's house and scan some fields. I see turkeys. We get a little closer and there are around 10 below us on the field edge. We get glass on them and my son says there are 8 jakes and 2 hens. I trust his eyes to mine since I am color blind. We go up the road and park, get our gear and walk down a grass road to the right of way. We set up and do some calling. Nothing. Call some more, still nothing.
My phone rings and my buddy says there are 8 to 10 birds in his horse pasture and 2 are long beards. We decide to pack up and head over there. We see 8 birds in the field, 4 jakes and 4 hens. We're guessing the long beards headed off to places unknown. We try to find them to no avail. The birds on the field move back across the road and into a neighbors yard. We decide to go check on the other flock but can't find them. However, we look back by the gate we set near and low and behold there is a big long beard strutting right there. Dang, he is only 40 yards from our early morning set up, bummer. Anyway, we back track and work back down the grass road and set up short of the gate. I start calling and he responds pretty well. He gets a little closer but won't come past the fence. I decide to try a walk away and pull him to my son, no dice. I do a little recon from a distance and he is now moving away from the fence and gate. I text my son to try and move closer to the gate and he does. I go around behind my son to try and get the tom back to the gate so Dale can get a shot. Busted. Bird sees Dale and it flies off the ridge to the bottom. Oh well, it happens.

We call it a day and write it off to experience. We also have some good intelligence and know where we will be the next day.

V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon May 15, 2017 2:30 pm