View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:25 am

The final chapter! 
King of Spring

Post The final chapter!
Before the 2017 spring turkey season began, I have ha my eyes on two different longbeards. They showed up in front of my trail camera, just in time to get the season started!

I have hunted these birds since day one and have come close multiple times! Day 2 of the season found me and them at 7 steps from each other, however they were behind a thick laurel bush and then they turned completely around and walked away gobbling like crazy! I have had them at 50 yards or closer on 3 different occasions. They have been behind my sunroom in full view many days, either after hunting hours or while I was getting ready for work. These two gobblers are the ones that I believe my wife was talking about, the "fluffed up" mean ones! I have a good, yet humbling history with these two gobblers.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I shared with you the picture of what I believed to be those same two turkeys, behind my sunroom again while I had other plans and of course couldnt be in the woods! Well, last evening they showed back up in the pouring rain in the same spot. I struggled with the idea of maybe going to put a stalk/crawl on them, but decided against it. I didn't want to possibly spook them and ruin any possibility of getting a chance at them this morning. So I just watched them for about 40 minutes or so, contemplating whether or not I will see these guys ever agai, or if I was making a big mistake not going after them right then. Either way the decision was made, I was waiting!

Last night, I couldnt sleep! I tossed and turned in the excitement of getting in the blind in the morning. I was as excited to get out there, as I was on opening morning! I hope I never loose that desire!! I woke up before the alarm clock this morning and headed out to the blind! I situated my ground blind in the woods about 50 yards from this grassy area where I have seen them so many times, hoping to get a shot at them if they in fact headed to the same area they had been showing up lately.

With daylight quickly approaching, I heard something that I haven't heard all season! ROOST GOBBLING!!! I couldn't quite tell where they were coming from, due to the heavy foliage, but they were there nonetheless! I decided early on that I would resist my urge to call a lot and I did so! I made a couple very light calls just to let them know I was there! GOBBLE!!! He heard me and knew I was there!! It was time to shut up and get ready!

A little more time goes by and some crows start going crazy behind me and GOBBLE!!! He's closer and definitely on the way! I gave a short series of very soft yelps... GOBBLE!!!! Ok... its getting serious now, I put the call down and get my gun up to watch every single direction, just incase he shows up right on top of me!

I noticed something off in the distance through the woods which appeared to be a black blob! I focus in a little more and yep.... there's that unmistakable fan going up and down and little white head!! When all of a sudden, I catch something moving to my left and down the hill. I glance that direction and crap!! Several hens have snuck in to 20 yards and appeared out of no where! So I now have several very keen eyes right on top of me. The gobblers are now slowly making their move towards the hens and thankfully the hens are finally NOT moving towards them! LIVE DECOYS!! You can't get any better!

The lookout gobbler finally walks into range and the strutter finally after about 10 minutes of taking a step and then strut..... another step..and strut.... finally is now in range. However he walks behind the biggest tree and only brush blocking me ane them! And stays right there strutting for another 10 minutes!

They finally move to my right out from behind the tree and my safety slowly goes off and I pick my lane! The lookout goes through and even though he had what appears to be the longer beard, I want the strutter! One step.... two steps.... BOOOM!!!!! and turkeys go everywhere... except one!!!

It almost was like slow motion as I noticed the orange glow from my barrel as the shot goes off and the wings of my turkey flopping against the floor of the woods!! I take a second to gather myself as I watch my turkey flopping down the hill, and unfortunately into a not so dry creekbed. I try to get out of my blind but cant because my hands are shaking so hard! I thank the Lord for another amazing hunt and spring turkey season.

I finally make my way to the bird and look him over and notice a couple things! Pearl colored spurs (first ever for me) and an incredible lack of weight! As I sit there and soak it all in as the season has just ended, I can't help but to feel a little saddened as this gobbler and I won't be able to battle it out anymore, but thankful for the opportunity to be able to harvest this worthy opponent! He has beaten me so many times this year! It was fun and exausting at the same time!!

As the season comes to a close, I can't help but to think of how cool it is to harvest a bird on the opener as well as the final day! I want to say congratulations to all of you guys this season and thank you for all of your insight and help during the years! I have learned so much from all of you!

Sat May 13, 2017 10:55 am
King of Spring

Post Re: The final chapter!
Awesome hunt congratulations

Sat May 13, 2017 11:46 am
King of Spring

there you go!!! Good job on a last day bird!!

Doug

Sat May 13, 2017 11:59 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Excellent start to finish for the season and the recap. Congratulations

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat May 13, 2017 12:34 pm
King of Spring

What a great end to the season. Congratulations.

Earl

Sat May 13, 2017 6:44 pm
King of Spring

Congrats!!!

Sat May 13, 2017 10:52 pm
2 Year Old

Hail Yeah!!
I sure wish that's how my last day ended, I'm envious!

Sat May 13, 2017 11:22 pm
King of Spring

Very nice.. way to get it done.. congrats..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon May 15, 2017 8:14 am
King of Spring

Congrats.

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon May 15, 2017 8:14 am
Longbeard

Good work and congratulations! I love the stories of the one folks hunt all season. Just cool to build a relationship with the foe.

Best,
Royce

Mon May 15, 2017 9:26 pm
King of Spring

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it!!!

Royce! This guy along with his sidekick (which i believe were brothers... not for sure, but just guessing) haunted me all season! I was looking through my trail cam pictures today and saw a good close up of them both, and I am absolutely amazed at how much weight he had lost throughout the season! And honestly I think his lookout was the bigger bird, his beard definitely was, but I believe his spurs were too based on the close up shot! The boss must have just been a good fighter, since he was always the one strutting!! The other one never even thought about it! I do admit, these arch rivals are exausting yet fun, but I am sad that hes gone! I saw his buddy yesterday still with the hens, but it just wasnt the same!! I have a ton of pictures from these 2 turkeys and even more memories! Its why we do what we do!! We love it and we respect them!

Mon May 15, 2017 11:15 pm