View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:21 am

Are we the only hunters in the woods? 
Boss Gobbler

Post Are we the only hunters in the woods?
So if you think we are the only hunters obviously that is not true. As a reflection on this it made me realize this weary bird we hunt is not only hunted by us for a few weeks per year, but daily by predators. So today was a beautiful day and decided to slip out for a bit as the season is winding down and the weather the last 3 days looks pretty bad. We did not hear a peep and I was disappointed. After setting up in an area and blind calling for a bit, decided to call it quits and get to work. On the way out we picked up a trail and found this.

Wow obviously a gobbler has been attacked here as I can see the breast and tail feathers of a male. We start to look around and in a small creek bed we discover a 2 yr old that has been there for likely less than 2 days.

My belief is a yote got him as he was picked pretty clean and the vultures had not yet set in. From my knowledge of predators and from a friend it is guessed a coyote as a bobcat will usually bury their prey. In my life, I have stood over a lot of dead gobblers but never one like this. Makes you reflect on just how hard these birds have it every day. Just wanted to share this with you as it was quite a find. Felt bad for the bird and honestly sad he went out like this. I hope everyone has a great end of season and good luck. Congrats to all that have scored. And yes I did kneel down beside him and carry away his spurs, his beard was pretty torn up but at least his spurs were claimed.

Wed May 10, 2017 9:41 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Are we the only hunters in the woods?
I found one like that about 8 years ago up in Nokesville.. found out later that someone had shot one close by and I guessed it was him.. I claimed the beard and spurs as well :)

Have found many just piles of feathers and a few bones but nothing else.. bobcats and yotes are hard on them too..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed May 10, 2017 10:53 am
2 Year Old

HODY --

In respect to identifying the culprit as a Coyote, worthy of consideration is that female Coyotes are giving birth/ have just given birth right now. A male Coyotes job is bring food back to the den at this time to feed the female not feed and leave. Same for foxes.

Come roughly June and July once the pups are old enough to stay alone in the den and are weened, the male and female will hunt and feed the pups regurgitated food.

I'm not saying the culprit isn't a Coyote, just worthy of consideration.

Wed May 10, 2017 2:18 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Tim and I texted off forum about this and I have shown the pictures to a savvy woodsman and the concensus from my end is a bobcat. Note how the feathers are picked. I also think the critter was scared off by Tim or other wise before it could bury or cover the remains with leaves as is the normal bobcat process I think. I wondered if a bear may have gotten in to the carcass too. I do not think avian predators could move the carcass very far.

Have found various parts of turkey remains and fresh carcassses over the years.; absent tracks or other strong ID evidence , l Never know for sure I guess what Predator made the kill and what other critter just got a free meal off the carcass

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed May 10, 2017 3:19 pm
2 Year Old

I'm going with whatever Google [bot] says. :mrgreen:

Wed May 10, 2017 4:05 pm
King of Spring

We took a gobbler this year that had what appeared to be a " bite" right out of the center of his fan. Four feathers broken half off in a curved fashion like it had been shot through (less likely). However hard as it is to see a gobbler like this it is better than the text I got yesterday from a long term landowner and friend. He texted that he had lost all his lambs and 2 ewes mon. night from his small sheep herd. We assume coyotes as some were taken off. I will be spending more time there as I think a den must be full and all ages are on the hit list.

Wed May 10, 2017 4:30 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

DoubleD"]I'm going with whatever Google [bot] says. :mrgreen:

:smt024 ---might as well ----who knows----- :)

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed May 10, 2017 6:24 pm
2 Year Old

Bird Dog, where in Central Va. are you?
I do a fair bit of winter fur trapping. Depending on your location, I may be able to give you a hand, help with trapping supplies, or otherwise be of assistance. Or if you got it under control, that's all good too.

Man I hate to hear of coyotes killing livestock. My dad just bought some sheep from a buddy of mine that was losing 3-4 or so per year to Coyotes. My buddy has 4 hounds loose outside and still the Yotes managed to slip in periodically and pick off sheep.

Feel free to PM me or use the open forum either one if you're interested.

Wed May 10, 2017 9:27 pm