View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:13 pm

Last Two Days for Me 
King of Spring

Post Last Two Days for Me
This past weekend was my last time to hunt. Most of the season I have been hearing birds in and around this clearing where I start my mornings on the side of this mountain, but never called one into it. Had birds gobbling within 100 yds above me and below me, but nobody wants to come into the clearing.
The previous weekend I had a bird gobbling great on roost about 125 yds out and just uphill to my calls & then on the ground for about 30 mins before walking off over the mountain to parts unknown. But this last Saturday & Sunday found me all alone with nary a gobble heard. I blame the wind and the rain.

So my last morning I spent mostly here watching my deke from 0530-0800. Then I walked and called till 0930 before calling it quits.
But, overall it was a great season with lots of memories and experiences.

Last edited by brwndg on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon May 08, 2017 1:01 pm
Longbeard

Post Re: Last Two Days for Me
The last hunt of the spring season is always an occasion for reflection and that pic says it well.

Mon May 08, 2017 2:19 pm
King of Spring

playin' hookey wrote:
The last hunt of the spring season is always an occasion for reflection and that pic says it well.

That, great pic.

Earl

Mon May 08, 2017 4:21 pm
2 Year Old

Maybe them Turkeys can see that knee pad shooting rest you're wearing. It probably sends the same message as a red plaid shirt wearing 742 woodmaster carrying deer hunter does -- Danger, danger, that's a stone cold killer right there.

Seriously though I am looking for one of them when ever I'm in a store ( as much as I hate to order one I may have to).

Mon May 08, 2017 10:43 pm
King of Spring

DoubleD, one of the few things I need when turkey hunting is that knee rest... I got some pretty bony knees :smt005

But it really does make a huge difference when setting up on a bird. HS Strut makes it.

You can get it for the last day of the season if you have Amazon Prime

https://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Specialt ... g+Gun+Rest

Tue May 09, 2017 7:23 am
King of Spring

Had one of those for years. Needed it a lot more for my big arse 9 plus pound 12 gauge. The 20 is light enough that I don't carry it much anymore.

Tue May 09, 2017 9:06 am
King of Spring

I have one somewhere you can have if I can find it.. I tried it.. didn't like it.. falls down my leg when walking..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue May 09, 2017 12:14 pm
King of Spring

WVBOY wrote:
I have one somewhere you can have if I can find it.. I tried it.. didn't like it.. falls down my leg when walking..

Same here... I only put it on when I am sitting down against a tree. I take it off and stuff in my vest when walking. Not a necessity but it does make it easier to keep the gun balanced on my knee when setting for a spell. Like I said, I got bony knees :lol:

Tue May 09, 2017 12:30 pm
2 Year Old

WVBOY wrote:

Thanks for the offer Randy.
If you're gonna be up in the C'ville area let me know. I'd rather buy one from you than an online outfit. If you're not up this way ever, If you find it , send me a PM and I'll pay the cost + shipping.

Wed May 10, 2017 8:40 pm
2 Year Old

brwndg wrote:
DoubleD, one of the few things I need when turkey hunting is that knee rest... I got some pretty bony knees :smt005

But it really does make a huge difference when setting up on a bird. HS Strut makes it.

You can get it for the last day of the season if you have Amazon Prime

https://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Specialt ... g+Gun+Rest

Thanks for the link Brwndg.

I'm a little late. I checked with my daughter who "had" A prime account...
I may not have a knee rest for this season but I'll have one come next season for sure. Man that loading port on my 870 is uncomfortable on MY bony knee too.

My last two days are rapidly approaching too, and if my previous 15 hunting days are an indicative, I'll be experiencing a similar view to yours. Even if a bit frustrating, it's still enjoyable. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Wed May 10, 2017 8:54 pm
King of Spring

DoubleD wrote:
WVBOY wrote:

Thanks for the offer Randy.
If you're gonna be up in the C'ville area let me know. I'd rather buy one from you than an online outfit. If you're not up this way ever, If you find it , send me a PM and I'll pay the cost + shipping.

I will look for it.. I go through Charlottesville on my way to WV when I go to my cabin.. If I find it I will meet up with you sometime I'm going..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Thu May 11, 2017 10:41 am
2 Year Old

Thanks Randy.

Another forum member has one on the way (to me) but if the offer still stands, my little brother would sure like one. So if you find it and are coming through this way let me know.
Thanks -- Dave

Brwndg -- sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread but, man...you know what this feels like.

[urlImage[/url]

Sat May 13, 2017 11:49 pm