View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Poults 
King of Spring

Post Re: Poults
Saw one hen with 9 poults in a recently cut LZ. The base is keeping them cut for helo ops. and staging. We will not that is NREA will not start cutting fields and such till we know or feel the turkey and Quail hatch is over.

What was neat about this sighting at least half the poults were trying out thier flying ability. They would get air born for about 10 yards. One flew into moms neck and head and crashed. But got back up for another little flight.

The mother felt I was no threat and I sat there watching and listening communicate with each other for 20 minutes.

Earl

Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:53 am
King of Spring

Not to good a day today. Seen 1 hen with 2 poults and 1 hen with 1 poult.

Earl

Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:23 am
King of Spring

I have yet to see any.. put up about 40 round bales on Saturday and all I saw were a couple of dust bowls..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:06 am
King of Spring

WVBOY wrote:
I have yet to see any.. put up about 40 round bales on Saturday and all I saw were a couple of dust bowls..

Have not seen any out around here either on private land. Groves down the road are the only ones that have cut one field so far. And as many cars that go up and down these roads anymore it is hard to drive slow and look for poults. From what I seen on base a good hatch began about 2 weeks ago as many of the ones sighted the last 2 weeks are just days old except maybe some as in the ones I seen starting to fly the other day had to be 2 weeks.

Hopefully a good hatch is taking place and since the hay fields are a little delayed this year (rain) in having the first cut many poults will be big enough to get out of the way of mowers. I know the cacades produced some, maybe that is where some hens and poults are feeding, more in the woods. Lets hope as I know we need a good to great hatch this year with at least 40% and more surviving throughout the year.

Earl

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:55 pm
King of Spring

I saw momma hen with a few little ones around her feet the other day! First poults I have seen up here in a couple years!! I sure hope they can make it! Couldnt tell exactly how many!

Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:50 pm
King of Spring

Well, today we were checking wood duck boxes for eggs and hatching and found 50% of boxes had eggs and or hatched. Yea I know Earl you are losing it this is for poults.

Ok, now for the bad news, while walking across a hip high fescu field we came across feathers from a hen and 9 eggs scattered about the area broke up.

Earl

Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:31 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Farmer just sent me picture of two hens with ten poults between them Six were banty chicken size, and four were ruffed grouse size. Glad to see that picture.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:07 am
Poult

Played golf yesterday and saw two hens together with ~ 15-20 little ones running along side.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:22 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

ten 3/4 grown poults in edge of field early this am....

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:01 pm
King of Spring

Great news guys.

Hunter 611 golf courses are great places and getting permission on them depending on location getting permission on the ajoing property is sometimes not that hard.

GN, have not been to the Q for over a week now but the local farmers have started cutting thier fields this past week so hopefully the wife will be giving me some good reports going back and forth to work. She still works since I have been accused of robbing the cradle :-D . But this last week have been getting caught up on catching up on chores around the house after neglecting them this past spring. But we'll worth it making new friends and hunting with old ones and family. In fact me a Anand a friend have a 2 day fly fishing trip planned for Thur and Fri for mountain trout.

Earl

Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:30 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Today early in the morning i saw a long beard on one side of the country lane, and on the other side three hours later I saw 6 poults that were at least 2/3 grown if not more.

- Archibald Rutledge

Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:43 pm
King of Spring

Gobblenow wrote:
ten 3/4 grown poults in edge of field early this am....

Loaded up again. Probably all gobblers too! :P

Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:37 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Interesting age differences in the birds I have seen or seen pictures of in last few weeks. Obviously some of these were born mid april , perhaps due to the warm febuary, and some later in May to June . suspect there are still more to hatch based on gobbling I hear along some rivers. Assuming the last few days of biggest hay cutting of the year didnt get those nests. what was left uncut till now in standing Hay really came down in last week. I do believe a turkey hatch can happen anything from early april to july (with aberrations in March and August).

- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:22 am
King of Spring

Just got back from dropping off the wife's truck for oil change and in a fresh cut hay field 1/2 mile down the road from house were 2 hens with 15 poults that were grouse size maybe little smaller.
Like GN I am expecting a possible late hatch happening now till end of month. Keeping my fingers crossed for a good survival rate.

Earl

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:01 am
King of Spring

NOVA sounding like another banner hatch year.. I finally did see 4 little ones yesterday .. not on any of my properties, but it was nice seeing them :)

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:49 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next