View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Poults 
Poult

Post Re: Poults
Please encourage people to NOT try to capture poults to raise. These are wild birds and 99%+ will not live. You are depleting the population and besides, it's illegal.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:01 am
King of Spring

emojr43 wrote:
Please encourage people to NOT try to capture poults to raise. These are wild birds and 99%+ will not live. You are depleting the population and besides, it's illegal.

Correct, tho I am almost sure no one here is doing that or taking eggs from nests. I tell folks that even if you bump a hen off nest to not go around the nest for fear the hen may abandon the nest.

Sounds like you may have known someone to do that. What was the outcome of that?

You still making the cow horn calls?

Earl

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:53 am
King of Spring

A guy at my work (not a turkey hunter) last year spooked a hen off a nest on his property.. he ended up taking the eggs and incubating them.. he claims he watched the nest for a few days and she didn't come back before he took them and he only took them at that time because he saw a predator close to the nest. I told him at the time I would be surprised if they even hatched.. well four of them did hatch and he raised them with chickens.. at about 1 month old 1 of them was killed by a black snake .. he heard the chickens raising cane and by the time he got to the coop the snake had a strangle hold on the poult and had choked it before he could get the snake off.. at about 4 months old 2 more of them died for unknown reasons.. he just went in and found them dead one morning and can't explain it except that there was a terrible thunder storm that night ???? Anyway he still has one hen living now a year later, but she is very wild still and very small stature .. he has her in an open pen now and says when she feels like flying it and leaving she can, but she is sticking around for some reason .. she still roost with the chickens..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:46 am
King of Spring

While fishing this morning heard what I thought was whistling. I went in the direction about 50 yards and there was a hen and 7 poults in a grass field. This is up around Front Royal.

Earl

Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:25 am
King of Spring

My worst fear may be happening. The wife and I took a drive through the Q this morning. We seen 11 hens and only 2 poults. One LZ where we seen 2 hens one with 10 and the other with 7 3 weeks ago today there were 5 hens in the LZ and 0 poults. Another place 3 weeks ago we seen 2 hens with poults but today same place seen 2 hens with 0.

Earl

Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:44 am
King of Spring

Saw a lone bearded hen walking by herself Saturday. Sunday saw a gobbler strutting for a lone hen. Have yet to see a poult up my way. :cry:

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:32 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

hearing about some half grown or older poults groups ranging from 3 to 7 in number with a hen

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:06 am
King of Spring

Talked to the head biologist on AP Hill today and he said they are getting some really good sightings of hen to poult sighting ratio's.

Earl

Last edited by Greyghost on Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:39 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

two hens today in separate places. one hen had only one @two week old chick that i could see. Other hen had three that were large enough to fly across the road easily. Id guess 4 weeks old,

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:02 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Since last post Ive seen two separate groups of birds on a fishing river pasture edge. Each had 12-16 birds in them and looked about full grown. A friend told me he saw two hens with 15 poults in his yard this week, and they were grouse sized.

- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:04 am
King of Spring

Today seen 1 hen with 7 grouse size and another hen with 5.

Earl

Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:02 pm
King of Spring

Saw one with 5 Grouse sized poults. Had friends say they saw 2 with 15 poults.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:36 am
Longbeard

Saw a hen with 8-10 grouse size yesterday in craig county. Have been hearing other positive reports.

2Gbl

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:03 am
King of Spring

Seen a hen with 8 half grown poults. Been getting some good sightings from a couple othe folks also.

Earl

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:25 pm
King of Spring

Flushed a hen with 8 or 9 poults walking through a knee high grass field. Poults were a little bigger then grouse size.

Earl

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:09 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next