View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:35 am

Everything right but pull the trigger 
Poult

Post Everything right but pull the trigger
Came in for opening day and had three really good hunts in the two days I we hunted. Hunted on public land Saturday morning and was setting up and flushed some hens but went ahead and sat down. Around 6:40, I almost pooped myself when the bird we were hunting gobbled 75 yards away from us. Hit the ground and thought he was coming but ended up going 100 yards behind and strutted in a cut over. We ended circling the bird but he eventually shut up and never heard him again. Came back to private land and got on bird. Got to within about 100 yards and sat down and he was coming. The bird ended coming just to my right and sitting in wide open hardwoods, was afraid to move. Bird was real cautious and looking for the invisible hen. He would strut and look, strut and look. Eventually he got to the point where he needed to take two steps and I could swing. Ended up turning around and giving us some curiosity gobbles as he headed away from us. Got up Sunday morning and heard 5+ birds on the roost but only one continued once they hit the ground. Got up and went after him. Got the very fringes of the property and my dad and I set up on the two roads we were sitting on thinking he had to come up one and one of us would get the kill. Bird started working towards us and I started hearing spitting and drumming. Probably the coolest sound you can ever hear as a turkey hunter for me personally. Anyways, trying to find where the drumming is coming from and the bird ended up going around and coming out about 20 yards behind us and tried to swing and shoot but the bird took off. All in all, a pretty good weekend for me, just a little disappointed I didn't come away with a bird.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:17 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Everything right but pull the trigger
You got to play the game. Playing the game is the most fun there is short of squeezing the trigger. I'd consider your hunts really successful. Sounds like you had some birds talking. Talking birds are fun.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:31 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Sounds like you got everything out of the hunt except cleaning one. Those near misses can haunt you but will definite make you a better hunter IMO. There always tomorrows

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:19 am
Longbeard

I think the thrill of seeing them and chasing them is just as fun a actually shooting them. It is awesome to get that heart racing multiple times instead of just once. Keep at it you will get them soon, sounds like you have plenty of birds to chase.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:23 am
Jake

Don't you guys pump him up too much , I did all the work :D . Really makes me proud to see how my son has matured as a hunter. Biggest thing I took away from the weekend was his decision making in not trying to force a shot. Hindsight is 20 -20 and the bird in the open woods turns out was at a killable distance but not bring sure he didn't shoot. As he said , we were waiting for those final few steps but unfortunately the last few were an about face and ease off on out of range . Last bird was at 20 yards but turkeys being turkeys he elected to stay in thick pines instead of walking a woods road and popped out to the right and behind. He tried to do a quick swing with the birds head behind the tree but no go, turkey drops strut and runs and he didn't try the running shot , told me he would rather watch him run than risk wounding him. Think that's the definition of ethics, doing the right thing when you don't have to. Enjoyed having him come in and hunt especially being a college kid with everything they have pulling at them . Savor your moments guys, they grow up quick...

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:25 am
King of Spring

To me you had a successful hunt, getting a bird in 40 yards or closer. Not getting the shot is almost always certain in a hunt like that. Now just get back out there and let it all come together. Good recap by the way.

Earl

Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:50 pm