View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:39 pm

4-10-17 
Longbeard

Post 4-10-17
Me and a friend slipped back into an area where I called in 2 birds Saturday morning. My first set of calls were answered by a bird in the same area he was in Saturday but he was a little deeper, letting us get down into the creek bottom he wouldn't come out of on opening day. Once set up this bird was on fire!! He would gobble and even triple gobble at everything I threw at him. He finally made his way in and appeared to my friends left at 25 yards in full strut. He then broke strut and tucked his wing and walked back the same way he came from. Still gobbling really good, I knew he wasn't coming back in due to not liking something. As he kept gobbling another bird got fired up further down the creek behind us and started coming. I was able to move to the back side of the tree and concentrated on the new bird. When he gobbled for the last time at about 70 yards the safety came off and I got ready. I soon seen him walking straight at me and when he cleared a small log at 25 yards I ended his morning.
17 lbs, 8 1/2 beard, 1 1/8 spurs
[url][URL=http://s150.photobucket.com/user/jbooth21/media/IMG_2737_zpscd5rzopw.jpg.html]Image[/url]/url]
After getting back to the truck, I swapped my gun for the video camera and went searching for another bird for my friend. We went to an area with a field deep in the woods. We put out 3 hens and settled in. After only sitting there for maybe 20 minutes and calling twice, I see a white head coming down the road heading for our field. I was able to get the camera up and running about the time he hit the field. Never gobbled but man did he strut!!! He locked up in strut at one end of the field and came all the way into the decoys where my friend shot him at about 25 yards.
17 lbs, 9 1/2 beard, inch spurs
Will post the video when he gets it uploaded.
[url][URL=http://s150.photobucket.com/user/jbooth21/media/IMG_2740_zpsplwxadon.jpg.html]Image[/url]/url]
[url][URL=http://s150.photobucket.com/user/jbooth21/media/IMG_2739_zpssqy6w0qu.jpg.html]Image[/url]/url]

Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:25 am
King of Spring

Post Re: 4-10-17
You 2 again. This is becoming a habit. Do not cure this habit. Great job and congratulations too you both. Enjoyed the video.

Earl

Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:39 pm
Longbeard

Post Re: 4-10-17
Yea I have to admit our success rate hunting together is pretty solid.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:50 pm