View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:20 pm

Short recap of 2 Week Turkey Gun Season 
King of Spring

Post Short recap of 2 Week Turkey Gun Season
Well Patch did her job every day she was out. There was 1 day no turkeys were found. She had got into turkeys the other days and had at least one if not two semi breaks each day. So far no large flocks found except twice when she got into about 8-10 birds, but 2-4 turkeys the other times. Most of the 2-4 birds she could not get them busted very well, although on a couple call backs we got a single response from a bird but the bird never presented a shot for the shooter. Other times with the winds we had it was tough getting any response or hearing anything.

One day when I had Patch out myself she did get into a small flock that I have seen in this one general area 3 times prior to season consisting of 3 long beards, 3 1.5 year olds and 2 Jakes of this year or appeared to be. She was about 180 yards out when she started to bark. She had that time I believe a good break. About one minute after she started barking it sounded like she was headed back in my direction. Sure enough about 80 yards out I seen this bird running hard at me and about 20 yards behind was Patch barking. The bird turned a little to my left side and I seen a beard flopping side to side. The bird just to my left about 40 yards and Patch was only about 10 yards behind. About that time the bird took wing and Patch came to a halt and watched the bird take wing, wish I had a pic of that. I then said good dog and she came over to me and we headed to the break sight. When I got there I constructed a small brush blind.

Now one thing Patch is still trying to learn is lay still as the birds come back in. So she layed under my left leg I had raised and would use to pin her down and keep her still. :roll: It was about an hour later I got a response from my left front. I called with a couple clucks and shortly a bird appeared in front coming in. Patch could hear and she was smelling hard and started to get up. I was saying stay and had my trigger hand on her head. As the bird got closer she got worse but so far so good. I had the gun up and finger in the trigger guard. The bird was about 35 yards out ( nice long beard) when my brain was telling me to take the shot. But also at the same time Patch got her 4 feet and legs under her and when she came up so did my sight picture when the gun went off. Missed it a little high, maybe 15 feet. :oops: Well she was out then and took the bird back down through the woods barking for about 100 yards when I heard it take wing. She came right back and had that look did I do good? :smt023

Although it was a very rewarding season, I was honored to take a Wounded Warrior out on a hunt the base had for them. Although it was a bow hunt for deer he wanted a turkey. Since I knew of where 4 long beards were hanging I took him there. We set up a blind and called periodically. Although I told him if a deer came by please take a shot, he agreed. Well about 3 hours later and here comes a long beard walking in. He had a cross bow and made a great 29 yard shot (range finder). The bird was a nice 10.5 inch beard, 1 1/8 inch spurs.
Check out the fan on this bird.

Earl

Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:03 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Short recap of 2 Week Turkey Gun Season
sounds like a good time Earl....hope you have many more

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:51 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Short recap of 2 Week Turkey Gun Season
Enjoyed reading that!

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:32 am
Profile WWW