View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:22 am

Winter 2017 Turkey 
King of Spring

Post Winter 2017 Turkey
Today Jan 14 was the first day of the 2017 Winter season here in VA. Patch ran into some razor wire again back in early December for the second year in the row here at Quantico. She healed well and fast and was dying as myself to get her back in the woods. Entered the woods about 0845 and walked down a woods road. The weather this morning was rain and 34 degrees. Walked in about 400 yards when Patch came from the right side of the road and was acting very birdie. She paused on the road about 80 yards in front of me for about 2 seconds. She then took off hard into the woods on the left. About 100 yards in she started yepping it up. I then seen 2 long beards flying to my left and front. Then as Patch continued to run and bark 2 more birds took off in different direction. She then came back to me and I and her went to the break site. There was a perfect blowdown I could climb into. This was the same birds I am sure she busted just before she got into the wire. On that hunt I had a long beard coming in but when Patch seen that one it was all over. She has had great breaks this year but on call back she got to be to much and ended the hunts (about 18 of them) when they were coming in. So this time with the truck only 400 yards as much as I hated to do it I took her back and then went back to the blind alone. Since I knew they were long beards I sent out a single gobbler cluck and got a response about 100 yards below my set up. About 50 minutes later and calling to the bird about 4 times more with response he finally showed himself about 35 yards out. I waited till he got about 25 yards and ended the hunt. I then left the bird lie and went back and got Patch. I had her on a leash to the blind. I also before that moved the bird down over the lip from where he came. As I got her in the blind I could tell she knew a turkey was around. But I held her there and she actually sat well. I made a couple turkey clucks and yelps with the trumpet and then slowly raised my gun. I then fired in the air, Patch was out of there smelling and looking for turkey. It took her about 1 minute to find the bird and began pulling feathers off it. Hopefully by next year, she is 2.5 yo now things will begin to come together for her to sit quietly in the blind.

18 lbs, 9 in beard, 1" spurs

Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:37 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Winter 2017 Turkey
first in the book for 2017---fine hunt and a nice bird in some miserable weather. ... and glad the dog has the nose for them

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:14 pm
Boss Gobbler

Congratulations :smt001 thanks for sharing, love reading about the turkey dog hunts

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:18 am
Profile WWW
Jake

Congratulations Earl! I hear ya on calling turkeys back with a dog sitting there, I often have to pin Maizy down by her collar or even sit on top of her to keep her from bolting, the drive in these dogs can be hard to control. Hoping it's an age thing and she calms down a little in the blind eventually. And congratulations to Patch as well!!! :D

Last edited by Nick Dalasio on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:17 am
King of Spring

Awesome!

Congratulations!

Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:01 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Very Nice .. Congrats..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:01 pm