View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:58 am

New to hunting 
Poult

Post New to hunting
Hello,
My son an I are interested in Turkey hunting this coming fall. We have never hunted anything. We have been doing a lot of research about turkey hunting. We live in Hampton Roads and the biggest challenge I'm having is finding a good place to hunt for beginners. I've read bad reviews about the Cavalier WMA regarding too many hunters, unsafe hunters, etc. Chicahominy WMA appears to have good reviews form what I've read. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good location for beginners? I appreciate the help and look forward to this forum.

Thanks.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:33 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: New to hunting
hopefully somebody can give you some pointers. I'm not familiar with that area.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:34 am
2 Year Old

You can also look into Big Woods WMA in Sussex Co. and a little further down the road is Fort Pickett near Blackstone VA.

Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:20 am
King of Spring

Hello and welcome. But also sorry I cannot provide info for that area. Have heard of fair to good hunting aboard Ft. Pickett and meaning to hunt there myself for a number of years but never made it down.

Earl

Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:40 am
Jake

Hello and welcome to the forum and hunting in general. I am in Virginia Beach and have lived here since 2001. The hunting opportunities here are virtually non-existent. Where are you in Hampton Roads? If you live on the peninsula, then there are more opportunities to the west and southwest than there are to come here (further east). If you live on the southside, depending upon how far west you are, you can easily reach the eastern shore for some hunting opportunities. That said, very few public land opportunities are available in a 'walk-up' type scenario. With the exception of Cavalier WMA, most public land opportunities on the southside/eastern shore are a draw or limited draw format. Unless you are active military or previously served. Within the military bases you can access more 'semi-public' hunting, but (I think)you would need to either be active military or have an active military sponsor. I am not current on all of the requirements, so if someone on the forum here can help you with the military stuff that would be helpful. Military base hunting opportunities exist on both sides of the water at places like cheatham-annex, Fort Eustis, Oceana, Fentress, etc.

You may want to consider joining a local club. That will be your best bet to get a semi-private experience in this area, but of course this comes with a price. I had seen two clubs advertising in our paper around the end of spring turkey season accepting new members. One was JW Lily which I think is in the Middle Peninsula or Northern Neck area, and the other one was Bent Barrell in Sussex/Dinwiddie areas. I am not familiar with either of these, but just give them as examples. There are other clubs in surrounding counties, but the closer you get to Hampton/Newport News, and Norfolk/Virginia Beach the fewer options you'll have. One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of Southeastern Virginia is dog hunting country for deer, so your ability to fall turkey hunt might be shortened/restricted by that.

If you want more specific information, feel free to send me a message and I will help where I can. I would also suggest that if you haven't been hunting before, fall turkey hunting might be a far reach. Starting out with a little easier quarry like squirrel hunting might help you and your son become better woodsmen, learn new properties, and meet people that also hunt and can help you in the area you are squirrel hunting to branch out.

Hope this helps.

Nathan

Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:09 pm
Poult

Thank you to all for the information.

Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:35 pm
Longbeard

patm031, welcome to you and your son! I completely agree with nathan's suggestion about starting with small game. Big game hunting (turkey, deer) is a tough way to "cut your teeth" as a hunter, especially for a kid: lots of hunting for limited or non-existent contact with your quarry, even for those of us with years of experience. Even if you try fall turkey hunting this year the small game seasons (particularly squirrel and dove) start in early September, about 6-7 weeks before the first segment of fall turkey season. Although I'm not familiar with the tidewater part of the state, I'm pretty sure there isn't much competition in the squirrel woods and the DGIF has wildlife management areas (WMA's) all over the state with prepared dove fields. You might also visit skeet and trap ranges, both for some enjoyable practice and to make the acquaintance of some folks who could be helpful with tips about shooting or about local hunting prospects, public or private. Again, welcome. The old saying "It's not about the destination, it's about the journey" applies well to hunting.

Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:20 pm
King of Spring

Chick is great place to hunt, but like any public land , it can get crowded.
Week days are probably your best bet.

If you are up for a nice drive GWNF offers some great hunting and fishing.

North River Camp ground is a primitive camp, but if the game isn't cooperating and the fish ain't bitin you'll find that you really don't care. Great place to create life lasting memories. Believe me I know.

Look for North River Camp off 250 .

Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:47 pm