View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 9:52 am

not hearing a thing 
King of Spring

Post not hearing a thing
Am I the only person that has yet to hear a single gobble? :evil:

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:14 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: not hearing a thing
It's slim pickings. I got one bird that gobbles okay on roost then two, maybe three after he hits the ground. Yep, he's henned up. Called in a few jakes tho

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:24 pm
King of Spring

Been out 3 times and only heard birds once

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:31 pm
Longbeard

No my dad hasn't heard a gobble this season either. My brother and I both killed birds on the opening day. Both only gobbled from the roost but responded to yelps before flying down. My brother and I have heard gobbles every time I have been out but only from the roost and mostly to crows. Me and my brother have only gotten to go 4 times because of work. My dad is retired and has been out 6 times and nothing its a little over an hour to our lease. We have hunted from sunrise to noon every time we have been out. My brother got 3 to respond to him on the roost on Saturday and one was heading his way but he got impatient and the bird busted him trying to move towards him. I've tried about every crow call, peacock, owl, and turkey call I know of after they hit the ground and nothing. I have sat in one spot for 3 hours calling and nothing and I know there in the area. Crazy year.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:35 pm
Jake

Haven't heard much the past couple of days. The best day was April 10th. They were tearing it up. I guess they're henned up right now.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:45 pm
King of Spring

I was going to reply to this with a , yeah I'm hearing a ton of roosting gobbling, but very little on the ground, until this morning! I have NEVER heard such little gobbling , let me rephrase, ABSOLUTELY NO gobbling, on this day in my career of hunting turkeys! I played hide and seek with a hen and had her so mad that she couldn't find me she circled me for 5 minutes!! But zero, absolutely nothing from the gobblers!! Quite bored , that's for sure!!

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:32 am
Poult

Heard two this morning one shut up after coming off the roost the other was hot on the ground but dang ol coyote come in front of me about 80 yards right after i started workin him and that was the end of that hunt

Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:04 am
King of Spring

Well I was begining to think it was me.
Hopefully things will pick up. Going to Rappahannock country this evening for a Friday and Saturday hunt.

Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:05 am
King of Spring

The woods were rocking this morning!!! Heard seven birds gobbling at sunrise. On the way in to set up on the nearest ones I bumped four hens off roost. At this spot I had two jakes & a LB come in. Jakes were all over the deke, but the LB stayed about 40 yds out & behind cover. The whole time these three are around me I hear four more birds gobbling from three spots. One comes in across the run and starts strutting & gobbling. He wouldn't fly the run, and stayed 80+ yds out.
Great morning even though no shots taken. Hope tomorrow is just as good. My last day till the 30th

Last edited by brwndg on Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:36 pm
King of Spring

I walked probably 3 miles this morning on a WMA and never heard a peep.. did scare one off the roost around 7:00 AM

Take me Home Country Roads.

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:46 pm
King of Spring

I thought my hearing was going till others here with good ears are not hearing anything.

Earl

Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:11 pm
Longbeard

I used my last tag yesterday but have had the same experience with lack of ground gobbling. Killed my first bird on the first day at 7:30 and he acted right, very nice old gobbler with one spur that was 1 9/16 inches and the other was broken. Killed a two year old last Friday and a three year old yesterday and both hunts were about identical. Both birds gobbled a little on the roost, flew down and the first time they gobbled on the ground I expected them to come in, then went basically silent for hours. In both cases I had scouted the birds pretty heavily, was well set up and had the luxury of just waiting them out. Both birds answered calls after 11:00 (one time) and came right in. Killed one at 11:00 and the other at 11:25. In both cases I believe that hens got with the gobblers on their original approach and they stayed in close proximity until the hens wandered off. I would think gobbler reactions will improve through next week.

Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:25 pm
Longbeard

I heard one bird this morning gobble three times on the roost but he sounded about two counties away I made a move towards him but never got a response. That was it, nothing else heard. My brother hunted this morning as well and not a peep. Hopefully it will pick up on Saturday. This is getting to be a lot like deer hunting(slow and boring)!

Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:48 pm
King of Spring

Two days in a row and not a peep.. I don't know what is going on.. I may have to drive up to NOVA if this doesn't get any better soon :)

Take me Home Country Roads.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:39 am
King of Spring

Too dry, too long. Bring on the rain.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:44 am