View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:16 am

Listening time 
King of Spring

Post Listening time
When's everyone going to start. I feel if the weather stays right and we don't get anymore snow I might start the first week of March. Usually then if I start hearing them roost gobbling I'll go on a regular basis. I see a few trees budding up red buds may bloom as early as mid March I've seen it as early as late February, but then that was a warm winter and it snowed in March.

Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:40 pm
Profile YIM
Longbeard

Post Re: Listening time
Gonna start March 7th when I get back from the Dixie deer Classic. That is if the weather cooperates.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:46 am
King of Spring

I usually start around March 20th or so.

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:45 am
King of Spring

I usually start the first weekend in March. I just like to get an idea as to how many birds that there are around. I sneak in, listen, and sneak out.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:55 am
King of Spring

I'll start next weekend if it's fairly warm. A friend of mine has had birds gobbling behind his house for the past 2 weeks, except for that bitter cold weekend

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:17 am
King of Spring

mid March for me as always

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:28 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

see a lot of birds on rainy days in field edges this time of year. just driving back roads and checking with binoculars where i have permission. saw some large groups yesterday

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:48 am
King of Spring

Since I basically scout year round, this past weekend heard some gobbling. But then again heard gobbling through out the year. This year quite a bit Nov-Jan.

But since they are still flocked up (myself and a friend seen the 2nd biggest flock of birds on base yesterday, 44) and will be dispersing I will not start laying out any kind of ground work so far as specific general gobbler location. Usually start keeping track of gobblers around March 15th. Just keeping track of area's birds are in right now.

Sneak in and out, very good advise Vagrousehunter.

Earl

Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:37 pm
King of Spring

I put little stock in what I hear/see till breakup or 2 weeks prior to season WECF. Some places will lose virtually all their turkeys as greenup occurs, other places will not get them till full foilage on the trees. I love to hear them, but I make plans based on history, weather and very recent scouting.

Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:10 am
Boss Gobbler

A landowner emailed me and said he heard a turkey gobbling this morning.

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:28 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Been seeing some more sign in places that were vacated by turkeys in November. Today seeing a little breakup of a flock I been seeing for the last couple weeks. I believe for here anyway another 2 weeks and birds should start to scatter. And gobbling should start there shortly. Most birds I am seeing now are still flocked up. One big flock of 44 birds and a mixture of hens, Jakes and Gobblers are still together as of yesterday, or at least 41 of them that I could see.

I am just trying now to scout and keep up with movement in certain areas. Looking at regular nesting areas from years past and really trying to see where hens are at or headed.

The bad thing is I have not got down to AP Hill yet and looks like the Q only for now. I will be in GA at prime time 23 Mar-1 Apr. and then maybe back down again the 3-8.

But will have my one friend to turn over my info to him to continue for that time frame.

I don't think we will have a kill like last year (new record kill) but, maybe half. I am seeing quite a few jakes this year I am sure a few of those will be taken. Last year I still can not get over (along with others) 100 birds killed and not one was a jake. So don't think many 2 year old talkative birds around this year.

I should be trout fishing but these turkeys have a curse on me.

Earl

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:54 pm
King of Spring

Last year was the best year I ever lived through in NOVA in 15 years.. there were birds everywhere.. I expect the turkey gods will taketh away for the next couple years from me anyway :)

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:24 am
King of Spring

WVBOY wrote:
Last year was the best year I ever lived through in NOVA in 15 years.. there were birds everywhere.. I expect the turkey gods will taketh away for the next couple years from me anyway :)

Yea I agree, I think maybe feast to famin this year.

Earl

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:47 am
King of Spring

I am hunting all new ground this spring after my move to Central VA.. gonna be hunting a lot of public.. as I have not secured much access to private yet .. hoping for the best.. but If I have to drive 2 hours back up to some spots in Fauquier County or PWC I will do it just to hear some birds.. cause I know where the birds are up there :)

Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:35 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

[quote="Bird Dog"]I put little stock in what I hear/see till breakup or 2 weeks prior to season WECF. Some places will lose virtually all their turkeys as greenup occurs, other places will not get them till full foilage on the trees. I love to hear them, but I make plans based on history, weather and very recent scouting.[/quote]

^^^^^^^this

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:51 pm