View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:02 pm

mouth call? 
King of Spring

Post mouth call?
I've been practicing quite a bit the last couple months getting used to the new mouth calls I purchased and I just can't seem to figure out how to do a good purr with the call! How do you guys do it? I'm not even sure how to describe how I'm attempting, other than fluttering my lips and forcing air through the call lightly, but I think I'm making too much noise before the purr comes out, any tips? Or just keep practicing until I figure it out?

Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:42 am
King of Spring

Post Re: mouth call?
I do it by gargling with my throat. Its the hardest call to learn for me and still need practice. here is an instructional video by Preston Pittman..

https://youtu.be/ra7mS6ezrQQ

Doug

Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:13 am
King of Spring

Thanks man! I appreciate it! It's intriguing to learn! Yet hard to do it, but some do it with such ease!

Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:54 am
King of Spring

Gargling is the best way.. the same you do with Mouthwash except less intense.. you can flutter your tongue, that is the easiest way to make a purr sound.. but gargling sounds better IMO..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:10 am
King of Spring

I literally just had to have the Heimlich maneuver done on me by practicing that call. I think I'll stick to the slate for soft purrs.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:47 pm
Profile YIM
Longbeard

beardbuster84 you are not supposed to eat the call. Just kidding glad you are okay! Scary feeling. I just starting working on doing the purr with the gargle. Its really difficult to vibrate your lips when you have a tight mask on as well.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:41 pm
King of Spring

hookinembig wrote:
beardbuster84 you are not supposed to eat the call. Just kidding glad you are okay! Scary feeling. I just starting working on doing the purr with the gargle. Its really difficult to vibrate your lips when you have a tight mask on as well.

My wife was joking with me and said turkey hunting was going to be the death of me. Imagine reading that coroner report man chokes to death while practicing with turkey calls lol...

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:51 pm
Profile YIM
Longbeard

That is one I am still trying to figure out, myself, along with good cutting. Just can't seem to get the right cutting sound in a sequence...

I think the purr is one of those "do it how you do it" type of calls. I think Scott Ellis flutters his tongue. Chris Parish flutters his lips. Others gargle, as mentioned. Every once in a while I get the right sound with the tongue, as that is the easiest motion to make of the three for me. But I definitely feel like I make noise aside from the purr I am trying to make, as well.

It will click at some point. We just have to keep trying different things.

Best,
Royce

Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:35 pm
King of Spring

You think it's hard now, wait till a big gobbler roars just out of sight:)

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:10 am
King of Spring

Bird Dog wrote:
You think it's hard now, wait till a big gobbler roars just out of sight:)

Exactly.. I swear that is the hardest time to make soft calls and purrs.. mouth is usually dry as heck from the excitement.. and the call I do make I think is gonna scare em to the next county :)

I try not to call at all .. just as a last resort if they hang up.. and purrs and real soft yelps and clucks if I can make a sound ..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:11 am
King of Spring

Funny reading the replys. It's me all in one. Gargling is what I do, not well when executing the cluck behind it. So I learned to not use a call and flutter my tongue and then just pop air out between closed lips. Seems to work alright.

Earl

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:02 pm