View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 12:23 pm

Ft. Stewart Hunt 
King of Spring

Post Ft. Stewart Hunt
Wow! What a gruelling 5 days. Got down here last Wednesday and scouted Thur and Fri. Sat nothing, did not see or hear anything, not even a gun shot, it rained. Sun. Heard 3 on roost. Went after the 2 in the swamp after they flew down. Got on a little island and called, they responded. One turned from about 200 yards out the other kept going. Was in a good set up. One worked back in beautifully. Came into about 45 yards and then circled left in some thick stuff. He gobbled and I cut in the middle of his gobble, he then triple gobbled. He then turned and walked away as pretty as you please. It started raining at 0900. Nothing rest of day.
Monday, got set up on gobbling bird. But also brought 2 other hunters to the party. After they left their boot prints on my back the rest of the day nothing, but did hear my first gun shot.
Tuesday, nothing all day. Did hear my 2nd gun shot though.
Wed. Called in a Jake and an hour later a very talkative hen. Nothing rest of day.

Puzzling scouting Thur, Fri and during hunting I did not see but a little scratching.
I never seen a turkey cross any roads trails. Did not see one turkey track, dusting, strut marks on any roads or trails. Other folks I talked to were having about the same results. One fellow I talked to that shot a turkey said he just say down and one walked right up to him.
A lot of the areas were closed due to heavy training so only about the same old 7/8 areas were open. But a lot of other areas closed for burning. They do a lot of it here.
More rain coming in tonight and tomorrow so goin to head home.
Don't regret the trip at all, meet some great folks and did have a couple good hunts.
Will try it again next year, Ft Stewart has allways been good for me in the past.

Earl

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:34 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Ft. Stewart Hunt
Remind me again what the biologist for Stewart had projected for a bird population there this year. As we have discussed many areas of Georgia are in what is believed to be a four year poor hatch sequence. After your visit do you think the birds were just shut up or do you think their population is seriously down. Based on the lack of activity and tracks etc it makes you wonder what the population is. Middle Georgia used to be spectacular turkey hunting twenty five years ago and up to the last five years or so.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:49 pm
King of Spring

Bingo GN, what we discussed. The biologist there told me before going that he had a good population of turkeys. He said that his burning is more extensive then the State and that his turkey population is holding its own while the States turkey population declines. Well i do not know how one can burn during the breeding laying and hatching time and increase or sustain a population.
Now I do not believe in excuses but there was some heavy rain 2 days prior and the first 2 days. I am giving Stewart the benefit of the dought here. There were few areas open so folks were ponding the open areas and do all Georgian's have loud trucks?
also a lot of the prime areas in the past were closed.

I believe the population is down. With the burning and talking with a couple folks that have been hunting there the last 30 years they also think that in the last 10 years the population is steady declining and that there has been a poor hatch the last few years. From what they do not really know.
Some residents what to stop the out of State hunters from hunting the WMA's.

With the lack of sign I would say the population is down but what birds were there were shut down.

Will be interesting to see what they get for total kill this year.

Earl

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:17 pm
Poult

I have a buddy who works for Fish and Wildlife and one who works for Forestry on Stewart. One of them was able to score a nice gobbler this past Monday but he had to work for it the entire day, rain and all. Ive been hog hunting Stewart the past couple of years and have always heard birds gobble but never laid eyes on one. Beautiful country for sure.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:06 pm
King of Spring

NodnarB wrote:
I have a buddy who works for Fish and Wildlife and one who works for Forestry on Stewart. One of them was able to score a nice gobbler this past Monday but he had to work for it the entire day, rain and all. Ive been hog hunting Stewart the past couple of years and have always heard birds gobble but never laid eyes on one. Beautiful country for sure.

Congrats to your friend. KD one of the game wardens there was telling me about that one. Great guys there I had 3 wardens there trying to get me on birds. I think It was my new trailer since It was its first turkey hunting trip, May have to sell it.

It has been one of my favorite places also. Hogs yes plenty of them. Had a couple come up behind the trailer Tuesday night at Hollbrook camp grounds. Got video of a couple gators there in the pond last Thursday.

There was plenty of rain there this trip. Your friend and who ever else there work hard for birds there the first 5 days.

Earl

Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:49 pm