View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 4:57 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Listening time 
King of Spring

Post Re: Listening time
Yeah I had a wild hair on Monday morning to go listen at a spot about 3 miles from my house, the weather seemed right 48 degrees and hardly any wind. I turkey hunted this spot later in the season last year and had 3 gobbling in it as I was taking a first timer. Well to make a long story short in sweet I didn't hear much of anything at least no turkey's gobbled, but I did hear sum frogs, crows one horned owl, geese. Still to early here won't go listening again now till probably after the 15th or when the weather warms up a lot more and the turkey's seem to break up sum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7unuqml6u0A

Here's something interesting to watch. I watch it each year as a refresher, as well as Pure Turkey still can't wait to see if there making a second series :)

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:51 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Yea, I still got that transition booklet they (K&H) came out with I believe in 91(good info). I always thought Harold Knight was the turkey hunter out of those 2. Also along with that transition phase one must also factor in elevation some also. Also one must factor in hunting pressured turkey's. To many factors for me, just go hunt, improvise, adopt and adjust to what the turkeys are doing and where they are in the breeding and nesting cycle.

Went the last 2 days and turkeys still flocked up some but seeing some spring time areas in the past with fresh sign. Windy but still nice walks in the woods.

Earl

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:31 am
Longbeard

Me and a friend listened on his lease down here in NC just outside Raleigh this morning and heard 5-6 gobbling pretty good while in the tree. Everything was quiet was their feet hit the ground.

Onto the Dixie deer classic now...

Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:26 am
King of Spring

Vaturkeyhntr wrote:
Me and a friend listened on his lease down here in NC just outside Raleigh this morning and heard 5-6 gobbling pretty good while in the tree. Everything was quiet was their feet hit the ground.

Onto the Dixie deer classic now...

You shouldn't waste your time on that place come NC season.

Although better then I did at the Q this morning. At least got about 19 hens on video and 1 was bearded. Also did find some good fresh scratch with a mixture of hen and gobbler droppings.

Earl

Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:23 pm
Longbeard

Heard a couple this morning at the farm in Prince William. They didn't start gobbling til they hit the ground and then they only gobbled every few minutes. Not real fired up but getting there.

Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:09 am
King of Spring

Heard 3 at the Q today, not really fired up. But scouting the woods seen some good sign.

Earl

Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:58 pm
Longbeard

1 gobbled about 5 times this morning in King George. Had hens with him that were very vocal in the tree. Lots of yelping, cutting and fly down cackles. Hens were still very vocal once on the ground but the gobbler quit gobbling.

The ridge they were on has an old logging road that runs the top of it and it is absolutely tore up with scratchings.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:11 am
King of Spring

Heard one on roost and another on ground gobbling.

Earl

Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:26 am
King of Spring

Well this morning I got a dental appointment at 0800 (what was I thinking). The one grandson spent the night last night and this morning I was sitting on the front porch with my coffee and cigar. He is a farm boy and up early. He got up about 0600 and went out back to let the house dog out and came running around the house about 0620 yelling Papaw I heard a turkey. I went with him around back. The one neighbor has a rooster and when the rooster went off sure enough the gobbler went off about 300 yards near the back field (new locator call?). The rooster went off about 6 more times and the bird gobbled twice. Go figure! He asked if we could hunt that one this spring, I said, he would have to ask grammy since she hears birds back there every spring before she goes to work and I am on the Q hunting.

Going up to PA tomorrow morning this weekend and get familiar with some new hunting property I will be hunting there this spring and enjoying a little trout fly fishing. The one lady I talked to yesterday from RST shells said, they have heard a couple this week and seen a couple strutters in the field behind their house. Their season does not come in till 30 April.

Earl

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:53 am
King of Spring

Heard a single and a group of 2 to 3 birds this morning for about 20 mins. Gobbling stopped at 630

Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:28 pm
King of Spring

I have yet to hear one gobble I've been to a couple honey holes close to home and has been quite morning's. Kinda of funny but haven't heard any barrel owls yet, I've heard horned owls though lots of crows and the geese are still lingering around. Haven't heard any crickets yet but have heard the tree frogs chirping.

Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:25 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

beardbuster84 wrote:
I have yet to hear one gobble I've been to a couple honey holes close to home and has been quite morning's. Kinda of funny but haven't heard any barrel owls yet, I've heard horned owls though lots of crows and the geese are still lingering around. Haven't heard any crickets yet but have heard the tree frogs chirping.

I heard a barred owl this morning but didn't seem to bother the turkeys any

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:21 pm
Jake

Three different toms in one flock were cutting it up pretty good until flydown on Saturday morning. NOVA.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:10 pm
Longbeard

Checked out Rappahannock County; had one gobble at 8:00 AM 3/13 but he was across the Rappahannock River in Fauquier County. I did see a lone gobbler on a logging landing as I was driving along 522 near Chester Gap on 3/12.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:45 pm
King of Spring

We have had a record warm winter in NH. 21 yard birds showed up on the back lawn 02-01-16 with three adults strutting. During some of the warmer mornings in February while out back letting the dogs do their morning business I have heard gobbling.

Sunday morning we opened the bedroom window to a fire red sunrise and the gobbling drifted in from their elevated perch.

It's on!

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:56 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next