View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:16 am

Boykin Spaniel 
Longbeard

Post Boykin Spaniel
Anyone know of a reputable Boykin Spaniel breeder ? My son is ready for a dog.

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:32 pm
Longbeard

Post Re: Boykin Spaniel
I don't know any breeders but I will be interested to see if anybody has a recommendation. I am considering getting a versatile bird dog and have heard good things about this breed. Will they point or are they flushing dogs (am thinking about trying grouse and woodcock)? I understand they are good waterfowl retrievers, and that they were originally bred for turkey hunting.

Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:52 pm
King of Spring

Most of your reputable ones seem to be from SC. I can run down a couple turkey doggers that have a Boykin and see what they say.

Earl

Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:35 pm
Jake

Playin Hookey:

I've got one, and I love him. He loves me too! He isn't a lab, which is all I've ever had, and it's been a big adjustment for me.

He is different, to say the least.

He is 2, and I have yet to decide if I'd get another based on my experiences with him. His performance is spotty. When he is on, it's a sight to see. When he is off though, it's something else. There is no middle ground with him in this regard.

I mostly hunt ducks, but have hunted pheasants, woodcock and squirrels with him. He is happier to hunt upland, but gives me a good effort on the waterfowl. He is a flusher, but he is soft about it which leads to good opportunities for me. He has exceptionally poor eyesight, due to only having one eye. He has an excellent nose. He's not afraid of the cold water, but he does get cold when wet. He'll run all day, and fetch till he falls out.

He is a barker. But he doesn't chase a deer. He is strong willed, and generally only takes commands from me. He is strongly pack oriented, knows his place, and will not allow anyone or anything to take his place. It's just his nature for whatever reason.

I didn't get him from a reputable breeder, and his parents didn't have health certs. It shows at times. However, he is far and away my favorite dog ever. I just wish he had a more consistent drive to him. Two eyes would be nice too..

South Carolina and Tennessee are the places to look for a good one, but be prepared to pay. I strongly feel that my next dog will be an American Water Spaniel if I intend to continue waterfowl hunting. For upland, I'd get another Boykin from a good line without pause. At any rate, this dog has been a wonderful companion, and he accompanies me just about everywhere.

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:46 pm
Longbeard

I could have used a flushing dog today. Flushed one of a group of 4 super-jakes last evening (he was already roosted at 5) and heard him calling back and forth with his buddies as it got dark. They were on the other side of a creek and I didn't have my rubber boots on so I didn't re-flush (should have). Went back this morning and got a pretty good scatter (one south, two north, other not sure). I was pretty sure there were 4 because I had seen them while deer hunting in November and passed on assassinating one with muzzleloader. They gave me the slip and re-grouped, but I thought I knew where they were headed. I circled around and sure enough I spied them together at the far end of a 300-yard-long pasture. I tried to close the distance walking the woods along the pasture but they were nowhere to be seen when I got there. I think a dog would have been nice to have at that point. Turkeys having given me the slip, I took out my frustrations on the squirrels and had a good hunt.

Earl and SawyerBrowndog, thanks for info. Sawyer, I have enjoyed your posts on the waterfowl section. Have you tried the brown dog on turkeys?

The only thing holding me back from getting a bird dog, and it may well be a Boykin if I do, is I'm not sure I have the time to be a real good dog owner, although between my wife and me we take pretty good care of our 13-yr-old hound dog whom we rescued after she was abandoned or lost after deer season. She has helped me find several deer which I shot poorly, but of course she isn't interested in birds.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:21 pm
King of Spring

PH, one thing about a Boyken is they make great house dogs.

Earl

Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:11 pm
Jake

I hadn't ever taken him turkey hunting, only because I don't know how to do it with a dog and there aren't many turkeys around the areas I frequently hunt. Plus I am too busy after ducks most of the time.

I did take him pheasant and grouse hunting in North Dakota, and he loved that type of hunting. I know he would love turkey hunting. He also loves to squirrel hunt. He loves the chase aspect of hunting. Dead birds don't do much for him, so that is a struggle for us.

Boykins are great house dogs. And they will love you like no other.

Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:55 pm