View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:17 pm

Walker's Game Ear 
Longbeard

Post Walker's Game Ear
Anybody have any experience with this? I started using hearing protection while hunting several years ago, although I usually don't when spring gobbler hunting by myself with my non-ported gun, as the face mask I use provides some protection. For other hunting I have been using active muffs but they get uncomfortable after a couple hours. Am interested in experience anybody has with Game Ear with respect to protection, as well as sound amplification and localizatiion.

Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:05 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Walker's Game Ear
Tried some a few years ago. For me they were uncomfortable fit, hard to figure out direction even if calm, but especially if there was a little wind blowing.
Sound was also somewhat distorted for me.

They may have made some improvement over the years but had a couple friends with same experience, they tried their high end ear pieces. One guy then went with custom made ones which ran him $1,200 but he said would have saved him more over the years if he had just gone custom to begin with.

Earl

Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:02 pm
Longbeard

Post Thanks, Earl! After I posted the question here,
I went to Shotgunworld.com and did a search and ran across recommendations for a custom-fitted in-ear active device called "esp" with prices $1000 and up which sounds like what you mentioned. Until then I had the impression Walker's was top of the line! At least the high price is for a set, as opposed to Walker's price of $150-200 for one plug. I may just have to give them a try. As the saying goes, the surest way to waste money is to buy a cheaper option that turns out to be useless.

Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:16 pm
Jake

Post Re: Walker's Game Ear
I bought the best model WALKERS POWER MUFFS QUADS purchased 10/7/09 from Eders $156.65, two year warranty. I see Walmart has them now for $156.46 Gsm Outdoors GWP-XPMQMO Walker's Game Ear Gwp-xpmqmo Ultimate Power Muff Quads [mossy Oak]. They are very comfortable to wear. I had a problem with the first one, static in one ear, returned them under warranty.

I broke the sliding/adjustable headband (twice!) by pulling it apart and putting it on. It's not very strong. I ended up bending a piece of aluminum and duct taping it on, so it's no longer adjustable. But it works, and the ability to hear the dog and turkeys at long distances is tremendous. I put it over a soft cap and my ears are warm even in cold weather. I carry another baseball style cap with a face mask that I put over the whole thing when needed.

When this one quits working I'll get another one, but I'd take better care of it from the start. I carry extra AA batteries with me for when they go out. They cut out all sound over a certain decibel, like when the shotgun goes off.
WALKERS POWER MUFFS QUADS 9X hearing enhancement. NRR (noise reduction rating) 24DB. GWP-PMQCRT 5790341103
I have a powerMuffQuads_manual.pdf but it won't let me attach it. Contact me if you'd like it, I'll send it to your email. Jon

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:33 am
Profile WWW