View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:56 am

4-15-15 tagged out in va 
Longbeard

Post 4-15-15 tagged out in va
Tagged out

20 pounds
7/8 spurs
9 inch beard

Man where do i even start with this story. So i opted out of going tuesday with all the rain and enjoy the turkey woods today. I decided to hunt some public land that i have never hunted before but did do some pre season scouting and found plenty of sign and birds. So took a long hard look on what areas would be open and what fields were near by because i knew the birds would definetly be roosting close by. The area i chose only allowed 2 people so i would not have to worry about the crowds. As i get to where i was going to park i saw 2 trucks parked at the entrence and thought i would park farther down about 500 yards away and walk in from there. So i walked up to the field and actually heard a bird start gobbling really early and went and setup about 200 yards away from him. As it got to be flydown time i hear this jake yelp 70 yards behind me. Not wanting to spook him i opted on not moving again on the birds. As they were working there way behind me i start to hear a hen very softly to my left and the bird just went nuts he moved fast to my left to only hear the sound of a gun shot about 100 yards from me. knowing the other hunter was in the area i gave it a little bit before i walked over to him to see how he did. He ended up getting the bird a good 2 year old and he told me there was another one and if i waited about a hour i could probally get back on him. So being that this place is so big i decided to just go to another area and see how i could do in there instead. I told the gentleman congrats and headed on my way. So driving to the new area i notice this big ridge and decided i would start there. I look at the topo map and see that it gradually goes down into a bottom and a big ridge on the other side of the creek. noticed very little turkey sign at first but as i got in there about a half mile near the creek i found sign every where. So as im standing there i look at this big ridge in front of me and on topo it goes a long way so i only had to cross this creek and climb up it. So i look to my left and i see this pine tree that laid across it with branches every where and it was perfect. I could cross and not get my feet wet. So as i start across i get about 3/4 of the way and i slip and fell off and a branch caught my pants and tore them all to hell. Being that i didnt get hurt and just my pride i keep pressing onwards. So i get to the top of this ridge and it beautiful. you can litterly see on this flat for about 250 yards thru the woods. So i havent made a call in a while and decide from here i could hear from a long ways off. So i call and a turkey gobbles in front of me on the next ridge over. So i try to get my bearings and see he is actually in the other area that is closed today. So i get on topo and this ridge and the ridge he is on connects like 300 yards to my right. This would be the best chance i would have to kill this bird. So i move on 300 yards and see that this plan could actually work and get setup on the same playing field. So i make a call again and now it sounds like he dropped off on his side and wasnt moving this way. So 5 mins goes by and this woodpecker goes off and the bird fired off and he wasnt 200 yards now. So i make another call and he gobbles right back but thats not what makes this story so crazy. So another bird gobbles to my left. Im thinking to myself theres no way. Exactally where i was standing when i got on top of this beautiful ridge a bird is standing because i can see him in the exact spot where i made the first call. So now im in a prediciment i got a bird to my left and a bird to my right. So the one to my right gobbles again closer then the bird to my left. Then the craziest thing happens. The bird to the left goes in a flat out run right to me he gets to 100 yards and i have the gun pointed to my right on the first bird. He gets to 30 yards still running at me and i swing my gun hard left he stops at 25 yards i get the dot on him and BOOM!! So as my shot goes off the bird to my right tripple gobbles and i dont move. He litterly comes up to the bird i just shot and floggs him. Didnt want to spook him because im taking a friend there tomorrow. So any ways the turkeys have gone crazy and im done in Va. Been a fun season and just maybe i can get a trip or two out of state..

Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:19 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: 4-15-15 tagged out in va
Wow. Way to go. WV season is right around the corner :)

Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:47 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

quite a fast year. Congrats . And a real good story and good woodsman ship there as well. The tennessee season stated red hot as well. And ended very quirky as well for me.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:27 pm
King of Spring

Way to go man.. you hammered this this week..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:05 pm
King of Spring

Congratulations Mr. Depuy. Except your pants were not looking like that when I met you this morning. :lol:

Earl

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:13 pm
King of Spring

good job!!

Doug

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:19 pm
King of Spring

A super half week!! Congrats

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:44 pm
King of Spring