View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 4:27 pm

took a beating this weekend 
King of Spring

Post took a beating this weekend
I had most every bad situation happen this weekend, even ones I should've known better of. First setup and a bird came in almost behind and I couldn't get the gun around because of a tree, then went to a high point in the field to call and 2 gobbler ran up from a dip in the field and busted me without gobbling. Today called up a bunch of hens who pulled in a gobbler that hung up at 50yds. Then got back on him later only to have him bust me coming in quiet. Was nice to have the action, just should've thought things thru more I guess? Sorry for the rant.

Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:34 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: took a beating this weekend
I feel your pain. This morning I setup on a field edge with avian jake and hen out front. Gobble time comes and goes and I ain't heard a peep, thinking this is going to be a boring season with no birds on this farm. I hadnt made a call when all of the sudden I hear wing beats right above me and see a turkey glide out and land 75 yards hard to my left. Big longbeard instantly goes into strut and sits and spins. He looks down toward my dekes and continues to strut. Still not a single gobble. I figure this is gravy, keep my gun on the dekes and just wait. 5 mins go by and he's just standing there in strut. I give a soft yelp just to assure him that one of the dekes he clearly sees is a female. I stop turning my head to watch him for fear of being spotted for about 3 mins. Can't take it anymore and the next time I turn he is completely gone. No idea where he went or why on earth he didn't waltz right into my setup. That's twice in two years now that longbeards on this farm want nothing to do with my avian jake and hen.

Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:52 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: took a beating this weekend
Plenty of action with frustration.Then just trying to analyze want went wrong. Been there and done that a lot.

Earl

Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:37 pm