View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 3:01 am

Scope or Red Dot? 
Poult

Post Scope or Red Dot?
Put together a TC Encore 20 gauge turkey gun for this spring.
Can't decide which sight I want to mount on it. I have both a Burris FastFire II and a Simmons Pro Diamond shotgun scope. Have used both for a couple of years on rifles with no problems.
Would like some pro's/con's from hunters who have used both, or similar sights, for turkeys.
I appreciate any feedback.

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:13 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Scope or Red Dot?
There is a world of prior posts on this forum on this question. Use the SEARCH button on the header for the turkey forum,directly under the top line on the screen.. Put the phrase "+scope" in the keyword blank. Check turkey talk and the box for "search texts"…you'll get more thoughts than you care to read. I use a scope for whatever its worth.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:31 pm
Poult

Decided to give the Burris FastFire a try first. It has performed great on a couple of rifles when deer hunting in close quarters.

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:39 pm
King of Spring

I gotta say that some good Tru-Glo open sights have never failed me

Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:11 pm
Boss Gobbler

I've tried red dots but ended up with a Leupold NWTF turkey scope that I bought used. It's mounted on my Encore 12 gauge and does an excellent job.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

scope gets my vote!!

Doug

Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:55 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

mine is leupold 4x1 shotgun scope…..i have suffered eye problems that prevent open sights in the past decade. And have had some disasters with red dots. The leupold has performed flawlessly

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:10 pm
King of Spring

I went with the scope mentioned above this post, never felt comfortable with red dots. I do have a question for you scope users. What do you cover a scope up with that isn't camo colored? Do u recommend a certain tape that doesn't mess up a scope or a cover of some sort?

Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:18 pm
King of Spring

I had a scope on my SBE. 7 Stitches at the hospital two years ago made me remove it. I had been bit twice before by recoil, but never destroyed until that day. Bird came in and I shot in the prone position. I did get the bird, but also received the stitches and a slight concussion.

FWIW, I was using a Pentax 2.5 power scope with the Circle X reticle. To say it was ugly was an understatement. Give some thought to the Burris Red Dot's. Also for what its worth I had a Leupold Gilmore Red dot LG-35 on my SBE years ago and it was flawless. They can be picked up for not much money.

PS. Above said, I do like the Leupold Turkey scopes and they have more eye relief then the Burris did. Just may sure you mount it way forward because if the bird is coming down to you from above on a hill, folks have a habit of climbing the stock a bit and you end up with your eye closer to the scope.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:18 pm