View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:43 pm

late fall gobbling ? 
King of Spring

Post late fall gobbling ?
In all my years of deer hunter I have never heard this before. I get in my stand just after day light, everything is calm and peaceful when all of a sudden Gobble Gobble. He thought to myself did I just hear a gobbler? When he cut loose again. I never saw him but did hear him fly down and he gobbled 3 more times. I called a friend hunting the same property and he said there was one by him that had gobbled more than 20 times. Is this normal?

Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:06 am
Longbeard

Post Re: late fall gobbling ?
Always a bonus when you hear turkeys gobble from a deer stand. I have heard them gobble in the fall dozens of times over the years, and even while goose hunting in late winter. I think lots of times it just a pecking order/dominance thing that goes on year round. Other times I think they just wake up feeling good and feel like being obnoxious. One year a buddy and I heard gobbling every morning for 2 weeks straight, lots of gobbling. I have even heard them gobble in the evening in the fall/winter. I have heard a few reports of gobbling this fall from guys who said they had never heard it before. We have a high population of gobblers in all age classes. My guess is this increases the urge for birds to gobble in fall/winter. Can't wait to hear what the fall turkey hunters have to say about this. They probably will be able to provide more insight on this topic.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:17 am
King of Spring

Pretty much what BC said. Especially this time of year. A lot of the gobbling is Jakes starting to I guess test their new voices out. Many a times when either blind calling or after a break and birds start coming back in Jakes will do a short version of a gobble. Then if there are long beards around they may respond with a gobble of their own. Although may be somewhat subdued compared to a spring gobble one can tell the difference then.

What folks refer to (super jakes) going to be 2 year olds the coming spring are really responsive and come in gobbling and strutting.

After a break of long beards and one caller is using a gobbler yelp and follows it up with a Jake gobble interesting things can happen. Sometimes it is quick action, other times it may be awhile (hours).

In fall but also in spring most hunters think after a shot the game is over. But in the fall/winter after say someone shots a long beard coming back in after a bust, sit tight even after a miss your chances are good you or your partner will get another shot at one. Yes even in the spring do not give up. I and my partners have killed many a turkeys in the Fall and Spring after someone has shot and comes walking out dejected.

The sights and sounds of fall/winter turkey hunting are experiences that spring turkey hunting will never equal to me. Don't get me wrong yes the rattling of a strong spring gobble puts chills through me and awakens a primeval felling in me. And the spring when everything is coming back anew is a beautiful experience. But for the whole package for some reason the inter action of fall turkeys is a deep seated passion that will never burn out, no matter how miserable the weather is.

Earl

Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:41 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Hear them regularly while duck hunting in December and January. Any temps. Calm and clear is more critical than temp l think. Heard em at temps near zero on the roost. For goodness sakes, they are just being turkeys!!

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:32 pm
King of Spring

Had a buddy of mine take his nephew on his first turkey hunt ever in the national forest on thanksgiving and he had a Jake gobbling his head off and came in. The bird died and when he showed me the picture, his head was as blue as can be. Matter of fact, this morning at around 7 ish I heard a group of birds singing their heads off this morning and right after a real loud hen cackle I heard a triple gobble ring out! :) rifle season ending and it was almost like they knew, and said, "we'll see in in the spring! "

Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:16 pm
Longbeard

After posting on this topic this morning, I spoke with one of my cousins who deer hunted this morning. He said, you are never gonna believe what I heard this morning. Yep, turkeys gobbling for a full hour this morning. Called my traveling buddy today and started ironing out travel plans for spring.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:09 pm
Boss Gobbler

I had one gobble above me in the national forest yesterday at sunrise. Warmed me up :mrgreen:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:20 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Called one in Thursday for my brother ...3 yr old gobbler gobbled and yelped all the way to gun! We scattered a bunch wed nite as they went to roost 30+. Old gobblers and young flock mixed. Lots of calling and gobbling thanksgiving morning !

Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:56 pm
King of Spring

Gobblevt wrote:
Called one in Thursday for my brother ...3 yr old gobbler gobbled and yelped all the way to gun! We scattered a bunch wed nite as they went to roost 30+. Old gobblers and young flock mixed. Lots of calling and gobbling thanksgiving morning !

Congratulations on a great hunt. Thats what I like hearing. Can't ask for a more scripted fall hunt. From the bust the night before and all the calling the next morning coming to the gun.

Earl

Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:59 pm
King of Spring

After getting off work this morning went to the Q. Got there about 0600. At my second stop heard a flock come to life. Lots of tree talk and some sounded like Jake gobbling. Thought what a great place to bring the dog in the morning. Swung by the check station and of course that area is closed tomorrow.

Earl

Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:09 pm
Longbeard

Congrats Gobblevt on the perfect Thanksgiving hunt! I do not know how it could have been any better. You never forget hunts like that.

Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:09 pm
King of Spring

Gobblevt wrote:

Very Nice man.. congrats..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:32 am
King of Spring

Spotted a lone turkey in the woods last Friday evening while deer hunting but never could get a mark on the sex. Thought it was a gobbler/jake based on the size. Went back and deer hunted the same spot Sat. AM and he confirmed his gender by gobbling three times about a 100 yards from me around 6:45-6:50AM. Slipped back in there this morning for a couple of hours before work since turkey is back in and he's still there, gobbled twice at 7:22A and heard him drop out of the tree at 7:25AM, stayed in the tree longer since it was so foggy. Gonna have to be patient with this fellow, did my best gobbler yelps and clucks and he paid me no mind (not surprised). Had to ease out at 8:30 to get to work. :(

Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:37 pm