View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:40 am

Quail sighting !! In Northern Va. of all places 
King of Spring

Post Quail sighting !! In Northern Va. of all places
I know that this is a turkey forum but I also know that some of you hunt that smaller birds, as well. A buddy of mine suggested that we run our dogs in a place that we have dove hunted for 35 years. Over that time we have seen the occasional quail but the use of the farm is mainly pasture with a few crops. This year the use changed to all crop and no pasture and there are a few hedgerows so we decided to walk them and maybe get a shot at a dove or two. He had seen a couple of singles the previous week so we started in that area and , sure enough , we put up a pair of quail. Then we decided to walk down the fence row and his dog put up a nice covey of 15 -16 birds. Wow ! we split up and after about 200 more yards a single male flew from in front of me and my Springer, Ellie , started getting real birdy. All of a sudden a small covey of about 8-10 birds took off ! What a morning. We decided to turn back to the truck after that because it was really warming up and we wanted to get the dogs back in . I have not seen a covey of quail in Va. for fifteen years and I really thought that they were going the way of the Do-Do bird.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:07 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Quail sighting !! In Northern Va. of all places
I saw a few at my place this spring for the first time ever. But once I cut the fields I haven't seen them anymore.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:48 am
King of Spring

Its good hearing of quail sightings. Usually means good habitat. What a great sighting you had though.

A quail survey is conducted at Quantico every year. When I was stationed there in 82 their was a really good quail population there that afforded hunters very good quail hunts over the years. Then about early 90's quail hunting was no longer due to declining population. The surveys show a fair population but only in the northwest portion of the base.

Over the fall turkey season I may come across a couple coveys which is exciting when they flush.

A couple folks over the last couple years have reported hearing or seeing a couple grouse. The last one of those I heard or seen was about 20 years ago.

I really miss good upland bird hunting and hope it will some day return to VA.

Hopefully woodcock will be good this year for a couple of hunts after them.

Earl

Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:15 pm
Longbeard

I normally hear a few quail in the spring in Faquier co. It has been 10 years since I seen or heard a grouse. Our woodcock population is excellent and I plan on hunting them a few times this year with a friend who has bird dogs.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:00 pm
King of Spring

Have 3 coveys that I know of on my place.. Saw one just the other day. Prolly 15 in the bunch.

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:48 am
King of Spring

Gobblevt wrote:
Have 3 coveys that I know of on my place.. Saw one just the other day. Prolly 15 in the bunch.

That's great to hear !

Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:16 am
Jake

My Boykin has flushed a bunch of small quail coveys from my 10 acres in Franklin County over the past year.

When I first moved to this place 5 years ago, I would see some occasionally in my clover plot, but hadn't seen any since then until I got my Boykin. The neighbor beside me has about 160 acres of out-of-use farmland, and the piece behind me is in the same size range, and it is an old pine tree farm. I like to keep the 'critters' thinned out, hopefully it helps with nesting..

We have plenty of woodcock here in the fall, and see poults every summer.

Wish we had grouse..

Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:54 am