View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:26 pm

well, I did it..... 
King of Spring

Post well, I did it.....
After months of contemplating about what sights to get, or what red dot or scope to get, I finally broke down and got a leupold VX 1 shotgun scope with the turkey plex reticle. I got the warnes, rings and mounted the gun with the b square mount. I put it on the shotgun tonight, now for some shoulder bruising! I love shooting but kinda dread sighting a shotgun in! I will say, the scope looks great and I can't wait to see a big olé gobblers head in this thing this coming fall and or spring! I may even break down and deer hunt with it this year now! Do u shotgun scope owners have any pointers on the easiest way to sight a scope on a shotgun in with deadly accuracy! ! And limited shots! Thanks guys; especially GN and tscott for all the advice on my new setup!

Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:27 am
King of Spring

Post Re: well, I did it.....
Sighting in need not be done with turkey loads. Use whatever light loads you have on hand at 20-25 yds from a solid rest. Save the bruising for a final tweak. Enjoy your new toy!!!

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:27 am
King of Spring

Definitely use some light loads at a short distance to get your scope close. I use dove loads at about 15-20 steps, get it dead on then shoot a turkey load or 2 to make sure it's good

Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:47 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

what Barry and Bird Dog said…

also be surprised if it is far off when it comes right out of the box and mounted on the square.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:52 am
King of Spring

Agree with all said. Also, if you happen to have a laser bore sighter, even if it doesn't fit the bore tight, put it in the bore and use its projection to rough dial the scope in. I use them all the time. I have also used my laser pointer to to sight in my crossbow. Saves a lot of time and pain.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:27 am