View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:40 pm

Mawmaw and Papaw with the assist! 
Boss Gobbler

Post Mawmaw and Papaw with the assist!
I had to find some time to get Abby's story up here so here goes...

There's not a lot to the story of the hunt, other than the whole thing being a family endevour, and taking 3 days to pull off. My parents own a small piece of property in Franklin Co. Seeing deer is common, however, they really only occassionally see turkeys... until this year. For whatever reason, a group of hens and a couple gobblers showed up this spring, literally roosting in the trees right beside my parents house and typically flying down in the small field behind their house, drifting off during the day, then showing back up in the evenings just before flyup. My Dad has sat on the carport many evenings and listened to them flying up and down. They have enjoyed seeing them, but also know that Abby is a turkey killing machine, and wanted her to get one.

Youth Day... Abby only had about 45 minutes she could hunt on youth day because of a softball tourney. Mom and Dad reported the birds roosting in the pines that evening so Amy, Abby and I headed over to spend the night. Dad and I set the blind that night and had everything ready to go the next morning. We make the short 200 yard walk to the blind the next morning and sure enough, the gobbler lets us know he's there... roosted 75 yards away. Just after good light I see a deer in the field, but it turns and walks back the way it came. Good. The bird is still gobbling and I just know we are in the right spot. After a few more gobbles, I hear a twig snap behind us. Uh-Oh! Not a turkey, but that stupid deer. At about 6:15 the snorting commences! She would snort, then take a break for a minute or two then snort some more. She was walking all around in the woods behind the blind and the turkey never gobbled again. We saw him fly down to the ridge above us and strut around until he gathered the hens and drifted off. I decided to teach the deer a lesson and one hour later, as she continued to snort, I busted out of the blind and chased her off down through the woods. Stupid deer!

I had some other options for Abby for the opener and got her on that nice longbeard opening morning. Wednesday of last week was going to be her next chance to hunt so on Tuesday night I set the blind again and brushed it in a bit more and slightly changed the location. Amy, Abby and I again headed out, but the moon was extremely bright and I was worried we would be spotted on the walk to the blind as there is no other way to get in there. Sure enough, as get settled at the blind a couple hens (I'm assuming) bust off the roost and fly up the hill. Ugh! A bit later we did hear some gobbling and had a gobbler swing by on the ridge above us again. Oh, and guess who showed up again... Yes, the snorter! I was able to get her away from us a bit easier this time and we were just going to be patient. My Mom, had been keeping records of arrival and departure times of the birds on a notepad in the house. The last 2 mornings they had shown about 7:45. At about 7:45 I get a notification from the office that we have a major system down (I take the mornings off from work all the first week so technically on vacation!). It was cold, we throught the birds had busted us earlier and I had a serious issue at work. I told Abby I hated to do it, but I needed to go. We climbed out of the blind at 8:00 and headed back to the house. As I was changing clothes I looked out and there were 2 gobblers strutting with a hen 10 yards from the blind. Ugh, again!

This brings us to Friday... Amy had to work, so Abby and I would have to go at it alone. Mom and Dad reported 2 gobblers and 8 hens leaving the field at 7:45 so we knew they wouldn't be far at daylight. I had left the blind in place, so we were ready. The moon was still supposed to be really bright but we got lucky and caught some cloud cover so we made it to the blind and settled in. After daylight we heard the 2 gobblers in the distance gobbling and then had 4 hens fly down and work right by our setup. We waited, did some calling and another hen shows and works by. No ground gobbling, but we wait and call. At 7:45 I told Abby I had to pee... bad. She knows the drill, and just as I finished my business Abby says "turkey!" I turn around in the blind and there is a hen walking towards us. Abby's spotting for me as I slowly get turned around and back up in my chair. As I get seated and lean up the gobbler steps out of the pines! Abby went into auto pilot and slipped into my lap and took the gun and got settled on the shooting sticks. He gobbles as he steps in the field. Comes on down the edge and blows into strut and gobbles again. I tell Abby as he nears the blind to be ready. At 21 steps I yelp to him and he raises his head and Abby does the deed... and does it well.

As Abby rushed out of the blind the hen flew just over her head about 6'! We cleared the woodline and I could see my Mom watching from the window. I gave her a two thumbs up and she starts out of the house to head our way. Unfortunately, my Dad had already left for work, so he would get a phone call shortly. Abby has a boot on the head as Mawmaw gets there for pics, thanks, and congratulations!

Abby and I were obviously excited, but my parents have loved every minute of the entire episode. My Dad says he has a new respect for hunting turkeys, after watching them allude us the first couple trips. I had told Abby that if we didn't kill the bird on Friday she would have to name him... and then you're not supposed to hunt named birds. She said, "Dad, I've already named him!". And, as to not forget she's still a nine year old girl, she says "His name is Poopie Head!".

So... I leave you with this... "Poopie Head is Dead!"

Attachment:
AbbyBoot.jpeg
AbbyBoot.jpeg [ 136.45 KiB | Viewed 1466 times ]

Attachment:
AbbyMawmaw.jpeg
AbbyMawmaw.jpeg [ 128.42 KiB | Viewed 1466 times ]

Attachment:
AbbyVA-2.jpeg
AbbyVA-2.jpeg [ 155.75 KiB | Viewed 1466 times ]

Attachment:
AbbyVADad.jpeg
AbbyVADad.jpeg [ 151.66 KiB | Viewed 1466 times ]

Attachment:
AbbyShoulder.jpeg
AbbyShoulder.jpeg [ 113.65 KiB | Viewed 1466 times ]

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: Mawmaw and Papaw with the assist!
Great story and pics! Freddy i think you have created a killer! Congrads Abby and dad

Doug

Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:28 pm
King of Spring

Great pics and story, thanks for sharing.

Earl

Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:37 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Who is that turkey hunting machine behind that mask? Congratulations to the whole McGuire family...

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:45 pm
King of Spring

Love hearing about McGuire family outings! Congrats to you Ms. Abby and one proud Dad and an even prouder Grandmother!

Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:51 pm
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

Congrats again to the whole family for the effort. Love the mask picture.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:14 am
King of Spring

I certainly wouldn't want to be a turkey or anything that resembles one when the Mcguires are any where close by!! Yall take no prisoners! ! Congrats again!

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:40 am
King of Spring

That is great stuff. Congrats to the whole bunch!!

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:45 pm
King of Spring

You know the boys in her class have to be so jealous...way to Abbs!

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:36 am
2 Year Old

talk about a team effort congrats

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:12 pm