View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:21 pm

Can you recommend a box call to buy? 
Longbeard

Post Can you recommend a box call to buy?
Hello everyone. I'm new to the site and I'm down in the SW part of the state (near the TN state line). I've enjoyed reading your posts and decided to ask for some advice. I bought a "cheap" box call at Wal-Mart several years ago and I'm looking to upgrade to a better one. Can you recommend a good box call? Thanks.

Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:51 pm
Boss Gobbler

Rel... welcome to the site! Glad to have you!

I have 2 recommendations for you -

#1. I love the Primos Heartbreaker and don't think you can go wrong with it.

#2. Max (here on the board) has a great box that he sells at a great price. Get in touch with him and he can give you some more info. I'm sure he will see this thread.

A good box can sometimes really light them up!

Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

I agree with Freddy. Plus I like the Primos Boxcutter. I bought one last year and have been really pleased with it. It's a one sided box call with a Jatoba (brazilian cherry) lid. Primos has came out with a double sided boxcutter but I have not played with one yet.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Freddy TNX for the kind words about my new box!!

Rel....I agree the heartbreaker is hard to beat.. Primos makes some great stuff!

Max

Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

I like the custom made calls, they are tuned by the call maker. They cost quite a bit more than production calls,but they look & sound great. The calls mentioned above will call turkeys equally as well, it's just a matter of preference. One of my favorite calls is a Lynch fool proof.
Keep em Gobblin!
Struttinbird

Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:08 pm
King of Spring

Come on Max, give the man some info about your calls. Rel I purchased one of max's cedar calls. Not only is it beautifully done, the sound is incrediable! Max has a web site www.btdoutdoors.com. Check him out! :lol:

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:13 pm
King of Spring

I have a new call out that I think Freddy is talking about. It isnt on the site yet. we are working on an upgrade now. Dont want to go into detail on the board. Ya'll guys know I am funny about that sorta thing. My email is max@btdoutdoors.com and the site is www.btdoutdoors.com . Tnx again for the kind words everyone!

Max

Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
i too am partial to the primos box cutter and heartbreaker,great calls.i also am a user of one of max's cedar calls,although i refuse to use it in the woods,its just too good looking to take out and risk loosing it.its a great call with a great sound,and one of these days max will be famous and ill have one still in pristine condition.

Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:27 pm
by the way max does kevin at old dominion have this new box call,i sure would like to test drive one

Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:29 pm
King of Spring

Not yet chuck. we are finshing up the logo engraving on the lids. They should be finished, the final hand tuning done, packaged and in stores mid Febuary.

Max

Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Poult

As most of you know and my name implies i am an amateur at this sport but do have my 2 cents to put in. I think every box call is different. I purchased an HS STRUT field champion as my first box call. It is still my favorite. I have since purchased many other types of calls which do not have near as good of sound or as good of a response from the turkeys in the woods. I have also since bought my father the exact call and it does not have near the quality sound. I often joke with him and tell him that mine was supposed to be the demo and they sold it by mistake. Good luck finding a call that works for you

Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:26 am
King of Spring

Rohm brothers little walnut box. great sound.

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:36 pm
Heartbreaker and Max's new call sound great :D

Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:29 pm
Boss Gobbler

Sorry that was me above. Changed all my computer settings and I did log on automatic like usual :!:

Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:31 pm
King of Spring

I like the Quaker Boy production field grade box, it’s readily available and not very pricy (~ $20). Most of them can stand a little tuning out of the package, but once dialed in, they are as realistic as any I have heard. Last year alone I hand tuned at least two dozen for friends (and friends of friends), that accounted for a lot of harvested birds all over the southeast. They are strictly a hunting tool - not a collectible, aren’t beautiful to look at, but get the job done, and best of all if you loose it or damage it while hunting you don’t have a lot of $ invested.

Also, there are countless people building box calls that are both beautiful and that sound great. I currently know of two folks (not listed in the posts above) that are hand building calls that are very reasonably priced (last I checked less than $35) and sound really great. One call maker is in PA, he builds a one sided box (both left and right handed models), nice call. Never met him but have had quite a number of his calls in my hand, as he gets ironwood from a friend’s farm in NY state. My NY friend always brings several calls down each year on his annual spring pilgrimage, and don’t believe I have ever heard a bad one out of the bunch. The second call maker is in Gloversville SC, he makes a small double sided box that I have been most impressed with. His calls are a hot commodity among local hunters, and I would say it’s well deserved. Both the boxes listed above are workman calls (no fancy inlays, painting, checkering, etc.) strictly made to sound like a turkey, which they do. I don’t want to post names or numbers here without their knowledge and approval, but will be glad to put you in touch with them if you wish, drop me an email or a PM.

Just remember when you buy a box call, no matter what brand, no two sound exactly the same, higher price does not guarantee a better sounding call, all can be fine tuned to sound different (they can also be ruined), and any box will last you a very long time if properly taken care of.

Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:08 am
Profile YIM