View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 am

Ky flash hunt 
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Ky flash hunt
l still had two Ky tags to fill, as i had tagged out in Tenn, so l drove to my Ky area tuesday midday, arriving at one pm. Raining all the way there, and rain had just cleared when l pulled into first place l place l wanted hunt. This pasture complex Area had produced two nice birds for me last year, including the largest bird l have ever killed:28.5 pounds as described in an APril 2013 post here about Freddy and i hunting here last year. lt is a pasture area where l can literally drive to the place where l want to set up, so l drove in there, took out blind, chair and decoys and set up the blind and decoys while truck was still running , left pack and gun in blind and drove off couple hundred yards and hid the truck. Since l knew this was a blind only set up, and it was hot and very humid, l was wearing blue jeans and a green t shirt. I have learned that vehicles do not necessarily booger birds around cattle pastures because the birds are somewhat used to seeing farmers vehicles around the areas. So after i park, l Walk back to blind, zip it shut, arrange window zippers, load gun, drank a little water, get out a call and make one light call series, no response, and this is the truth, thought l would take s nap as grandchildren had worn me out for prior six days. I had been in the blind five minutes doing the above list of activities, when l catch some movement to the left window side of blind, and amazingly, here come three gobblers in full strut at forty yards, bearing down on the avian x and hens….l was stunned…after the flash hunt my son had on saturday, this was going to be even faster as i had not been there more than five minutes. I get the gun on the decoys, and wait for the three to get to the jake. I didn't have to wait long as the three immediately surround the decoy and start to flog heck out of him…l tried to pick the biggest one, and when his head cleared the other BAM down he went. I have seen some incredibly fast hunts, especially in the mountains when l hit a crow call and one answers just over a rise and is dead in two minutes, but l have never seen one where l had so much commotion with truck running, blind set up etc and in a matter of minutes three long beards roll in. Pure luck? Perhaps, but l will take credit for knowing where the birds were likely to be during midday . ANyway, l would rather be lucky than good. Two year old, nineteen pounds. Nice beard.

Attachments:
Image 18.jpg
Image 18.jpg [ 69.02 KiB | Viewed 1247 times ]
Image 9.jpg
Image 9.jpg [ 142.54 KiB | Viewed 1255 times ]

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge
Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:22 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Ky flash hunt
Congratulations. Yea some of those quick hunts make you think, UM!

Earl

Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:26 am
King of Spring

As always, you manage to fill tags when others are left with tag soup. We have a lot to learn from the Masked Turkey Slayer....ALOT! Congrats and High Fives All Around.

Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:11 pm
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

Awesome GN. Sorry you missed your nap. Lol. Congrats

Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:26 pm
King of Spring

Just thinking about taking a nap will kill turkeys

Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:07 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

My grandkids had worn me out…l was ready for the nap.. Maybe if l got one of your hammocks l would not be tempted to hunt and nap at the same time and these kind of incidents would not occur… :?

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Last edited by Gobblenow on Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:10 am
King of Spring

I think gobblers were napping when you drove in. Rude awakening. Congrats!!

Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:44 am
King of Spring

Congratulations. You were able to nap afterwards :D

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:00 am