View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 9:24 am

Buying Good Quality Hunting Cloths/Boots 
King of Spring

Post Buying Good Quality Hunting Cloths/Boots
There is a thread about snake boots. I mentioned Russell and they are expensive. But believe me I am cheap.
Back 17 years ago I wanted a pair of Russell and saved for them. Then I found out the owner of Russell would let his daughter but boots on E-Bay that they made but not maybe what the customer wanted so new Russels on E-bay. I believe they still do that. So My second pair of snake boots were only like $140 for a $500 pair of boots. The 10 inch high all leather were only $80 for a $400 pair. My Filson boots were factory seconds ( still cannot find the flaw) but only $75 for a $350 pair.

I own a lot of Filson hunting cloths but never paid retail. I had a friend out where the factory is and every year (I believe they still do it) they sell/auction off factory seconds. i.e. a filson all wool sweater made in USA $160 retail got for $15 and the only thing wrong was a half the size of a small finger nail the thread was pulled. Still after 8 years no worse.

Although seconds the boots and cloths were never worn by others.

So for good quality hunting clothing and need not be Filson or Russell contact the manufacture and see what they do with their seconds.

How cheap am I? Well when eating at a restaurant for breakfast anywhere when I first walk in and like to read the paper, local or whatever I look around at people who just left or wait a little for some to leave and generally they will leave the paper behind, bingo, just saved 50 cents or whatever.

Earl

Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:47 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Buying Good Quality Hunting Cloths/Boots
Excellent post. I wear Filson stuff and try to catch it on sale which is difficult. Thanks for the info.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:05 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Buying Good Quality Hunting Cloths/Boots (update)
Here is an update on some info for Filson. Looks like some things have changed but still great buys. Just one or someone you know that lives around the area needs to visit directly. Got this from a Forum posted 2012. Friends and family sale is the one my friend attended.

For those in the Seattle or Vancouver area, Filson opened an outlet store a couple month ago, in Burlington. I went there over the weekend, and it's pretty great. After talking to the salespeople, I learned that this store is a huge policy shift. What they sell is deeply discounted factory seconds and used items, which until now were only available at the yearly friends and family sale in Seattle. They had a rack outside with $20 pants and shorts, and the prices inside were up to 60% off. I picked up a Ballard coat for $235. These are normally $395. A few months ago I bought a 256 bag. Here, I saw a used one for $70, instead of $215. For anyone in the area, this is well worth checking out.

Earl

Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:45 pm