View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:40 am

Wounded Warrior Hunt 2013 
Boss Gobbler

Post Wounded Warrior Hunt 2013
I was honored to be part of the Wounded Warrior turkey hunt in Bland County last week. Eight wounded warriors were treated to a two and half day hunt with their own guides and callers. Lodging, food, drinks, money, hats and shirts were donated by various people and companies around south west Virginia for this event.

Conservation Police Officer Shupe and his family busted their rear ends on their own time to put this hunt on. By the end of the weekend we had four gobblers down and a lifetime of memories made. One wounded warrior shot his first & second ever turkeys this weekend and they were both 3 year old birds.

I guided on three hunts and was able to get a bird to the gun for one hunter. On Friday evening in the middle of a thunder storm we had two gobblers and a hen feeding in a field that we were set up on. After 3 1/2 hours of watching this group and them paying no attention to anything I had to offer a two year old gobbler sneaked in behind us. My wounded warrior was busy watching the two gobblers to our front and I had to move his attention to the gobbler at 24 yards instead of the ones at 150 yards. Mr. Hamm made a perfect shot with my T/C Encore shooting a 3" Hevi-shot magnum blend. The bird dropped in his tracks.

Anyone interested in reading Mr. Hamm's story that he travels America telling can read it here, it's worth your time.... http://richardhammvietnam.com/My_Story.html

The news station WVVA stopped by and interviewed one of the wounded warriors and Officer Shupe, http://www.wvva.com/story/22220446/2013 ... Id=8866327

I was very honored to have taken part in this hunt. I was also very proud of my home county as people donated over 6,000 acres for these men to hunt on. Some lands have not been turkey hunted on in recent memory. We also had other people stopping by the lodge we were allowed to use on this hunt and volunteering their land for us to hunt on, once the word had gotten out.

A Wounded Warrior from last years hunt who was presented his mounted turkey this year

One of the warriors I guided on an afternoon fishing trip at the lodge's pond

A group photo before the hunting begins

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Sun May 19, 2013 4:26 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: Wounded Warrior Hunt 2013
Awesome!

Sun May 19, 2013 10:54 am
King of Spring

Nice job Scott! Congrats and High Fives All Around!!!

Sun May 19, 2013 11:20 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Scott, thaks so much to you and all that put these events on. Semper Fi! Mr. Hamm and all that served and are serving.

Earl

Sun May 19, 2013 11:49 am
King of Spring

great brother....Thanks for the givin of your time! I know they appreciate it

Enjoy the journey & share you passion, take a Kid hunting!

Sun May 19, 2013 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Can't find a superlative big enough for that report. Amazing what people can do when they open their heart. Congrats and Thank You for your service to Americans.

Sun May 19, 2013 12:28 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Good on you Scott. Wonderful report.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun May 19, 2013 6:49 pm
Boss Gobbler

Well done Scott and all involved... Kudos!

Mon May 20, 2013 8:18 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Always good to take care of those who covered our 6. Well done.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon May 20, 2013 9:40 am
King of Spring

Congrats to all involved..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon May 20, 2013 9:42 am
Boss Gobbler

This past Wednesday, Mr. Hamm was presented his mounted turkey from this spring. I was unable to make it but did speak with Mr. Hamm on the phone at the event. Nice looking mount.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:35 pm
Profile WWW