View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:50 am

Looking for comments on Virginia Wild Turkey Management Plan 
Poult

Post Looking for comments on Virginia Wild Turkey Management Plan
The DGIF is opening their Virginia Draft Wild Turkey Management Plan for public comment.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/turkey/management-plan/
There is a lot of good information/data in the plan.

In particular, the DGIF wants to know if you want to manage turkeys for maximum sustainable yield or how much of the turkey population you think should be killed by Fall turkey hunters and deer hunters (hen kill). The draft plan has the Cultural carrying capacity at a range of about half the Biological carrying capacity. In other words, they will be managing the turkey population at one half the possible population by allowing deer hunters and fall turkey hunters to kill the number of hens that will keep the population at 1/2 what it could be. The discussion of CCC vs BCC starts around page 39. Spring turkey hunting of Gobblers has no significant effect on population.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:40 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Looking for comments on Virginia Wild Turkey Management
some interesting options for management in the plan discussions, and all who are vaturkey folks should read the materials and voice their thoughts in the comment section...speak now for forever hold your thoughts etc......

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:55 am
King of Spring

Read thru the draft yesterday... Boy, you guys put alot of time and effort & thought into the study! Thanks for all the efforts of the entire team!!!

Enjoy the journey & share you passion, take a Kid hunting!

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:45 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Overall a good plan, I am a little on the fence about the zone's idea, don't want VA to have 10 different turkey seasons like it did with squirrel years ago. The real burr in my saddle is the recommendation to have the overlap in the fall turkey season with the muzzleloader and rifle seasons. This, in my mind, would be a false positive and a huge step backwards in our management. This is something that an individual has been pushing for the last six years, and it looks like they finally got someone to listen! I know we will get the increase in fall kill #'s and fall turkey "hunters" that the DGIF and this individual wants by doing this, but as we all know it will be guys deer hunting that know they can legally fill a turkey tag that will contribute to this! My opinion was sent as soon as I read it a week ago! Like GN said, speak now or forever hold your thoughts. They seriously want input for this, so please give it!

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:29 am
Boss Gobbler

Roscoe...

Agree completely... shooting a turkey while deer hunting does not make one a "turkey hunter"!

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:31 am
Profile WWW
Jake

I reckon I am not a turkey hunter as I have no problems shooting one with my bow in the fall while deer hunting.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:01 pm
King of Spring

Neal,

I was referring to guys that will take a shot at a turkey 100 yards away with a 30-06 or .300 Weatherby, etc. during the general firearms season. I have taken shots at turkeys with my bow from a treestand as well, completely different than the turkey "shooting" that will ensue if this part of the plan is approved. Hopefully this will not get an "R" word discussion started, not my intent at all! Just expressing disagreement with one proposed recommendation.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:05 am
Boss Gobbler

Neal... I'm like Roscoe... Should have been more clear! If you can get drawn and shoot one with your bow then more power to you!

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:27 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Impressive plan.

I voiced my concern about the goal of increasing the percentage of the fall harvest during the muzzleloader and first two weeks of gun deer season. I'd like that harvest to be discouraged, but not sure they want the opinion of a non-resident lifetime-license holder.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:47 am
Profile WWW