View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 2:14 pm

your keys to success "this year"!! 
King of Spring

Post your keys to success "this year"!!
This year, to me was an exception for some reason! Other than a little bit of patience, I didn't really change my hunting style or locations up much at all! since the season is out, iand I ponder how this years hunts played out, I thought about the specific items that I am without a doubt had a crucial role in helping with my success this year! Other than the usual things such as location, location, location...... my gun and ammo, and knowing where some birds hung out...here are the couple things that killed my birds this year.....

1.) The primos up and down pop up blind!!!
2.) The primos freak crystal pot call!!!
3.) 3 foam decoys...two hens and a jake!!! Off brand and cheap!

I feel certain, these 3 things were key this year!!

Tue May 21, 2013 9:28 pm
Longbeard

Post Re: your keys to success "this year"!!
I relied a lot on "beginner's luck". It was kind to me.

What worked best was learning everything I could from everyone here and the rest of the interweb.
Virtual scouting did well in putting me in an area that was loaded with birds.

Royce

Tue May 21, 2013 9:35 pm
Longbeard

The thing that has served me well this season and the 30 some seasons prior was scouting and knowing the land I hunt on like the back of my hand and how the birds relate to terrain features. I am fortunate to have a few thousand acres of private land and have hunted lots of it my whole life. Most of this land is within 15 min. of my home which allows me to roost birds quite often. I often know right where he's roosted and if he has company. I like to get in early and get in tight. That's what works for me.

Darryl

Tue May 21, 2013 10:01 pm
King of Spring

Sometimes you gotta dig in & huntim like Deer !

Tue May 21, 2013 11:15 pm
Boss Gobbler

Same as always...

Generous landowners and time spent scouting.

I also have to say that the Avian-X hens and jake worked like a charm along with Pure Turkey Calls... :-)

Wed May 22, 2013 8:57 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Knowing the area I'm hunting and as always...Patience!

Wed May 22, 2013 11:21 am
King of Spring

1. Good spots to hunt
2. Time to hunt
3. A wife that dont complain because of my turkey hunting addiction!

Doug

Wed May 22, 2013 5:05 pm
King of Spring

Time in the woods year round.
Always practicing my calling.
Continue learning, reading and most important listening to others stories weather they were successful or not.
Patience. (getting older helps with that).
A positive attitude every hunt.

Earl

Wed May 22, 2013 7:08 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Some excellent advice already posted. Field and woodlot point: A critical thing for me these days is getting in a setbupmwhere l can be comfortable enough to sit it out for a very long time without being detected by some of the movements that are inevitable when you are in a seige that might take two to four hours. Pop up blinds and comfortable chairs are critical in that regard in woodlot and field hunting. Old barns, chicken coops or anything with a roof on it can be just the ticket on a rainy day.

Field and woodlot point: Not sure this is really patience but l have come to learn that just because a bird is not answering a call it does not mean that he is not coming. If you have scouted and know birds are in an area on a regular basis it makes it easier to sit out the waits. If you get that confidence in scouting your success rate will go up. IMO.

Local hunting for me is usually a roundtrip in excess of a hundred miles. Having gas money is pretty critical :|

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu May 23, 2013 8:10 am
2 Year Old

I had more confidence this year because my football team is better than GN's so he did not pick on me at all about that. This was very important to my positive attitude and success. :lol:

Seriously, I have to go with Barry. It was mostly about patience and persistence. I'll start by saying this was a very difficult year for me, but I managed to tag birds. I was in turkeys every day but the henned up condition was the story of my season. I am a runner and gunner. I absolutely have no interest in "deer hunting" or "watching the bobber" during the spring. I have no problems with those who like to hunt that way. It just is not for me. I realize I will have to adapt as I get even older, but for now I'm after striking gobbling birds. I started the season with a nice late morning bird on opening day. I got on the bird at the third place I hiked in to. I remember thinking about packing it in after the first two areas produced no gobbles. Persistence to keep burning the tire rubber and boot leather paid off there. If you have the time, always hike that extra mile, go to the next property on your list, or sit patiently for that final hour. Persistence can be applied to any hunting style. I heard my second bird across a major valley and on top of another mountain at daybreak. I debated long and hard about making the exceedingly hard cross country hike, but hit the laurel thickets anyway. I had the bird gobbling all morning long but he was henned up. His hen finally broke away (to lay?... I am assuming) at about 9:45 AM and he finally came in. Persistence to hike to him and patience to kill him once there were the keys. My third bird involved a bit of luck as Squoose mentions...classic off the roost hunt on an easy bird. Sometimes I'd rather be lucky than good. The story of my final bird is posted here...persistence and patience without a doubt on that one.

Thu May 23, 2013 6:50 pm
King of Spring

Pure turkey calls and being in the turkey woods!

Sun May 26, 2013 4:34 pm
King of Spring

Having a few more birds than normal to chase. Tennessee was like a 180 degree flop from last year.

Sun May 26, 2013 5:15 pm
King of Spring

Double Bull blind for my son and I to wait in.

Luck finding a bird that wanted to die. Took about an hour, but was willing to play.

Finding some hens who don't like interlopers.

And as many have said, patience.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:46 am
King of Spring

1. Less calling and when I did I changed up the calling.
2. Relaxing and not feeling I have to kill a turkeu every year.
3. I switch my mouth calls this year from HS Strut to Pure Turkey.
Freddys call have the smack down right out of the pouch.
I seemed to really enjoy myself this year, never got mad...ever the twos I had gobbler within 75 yards and went home empty handed.
Im sorry, the one hunt where the fella came in on me and proceeded call on the bird I had be working for 2 hour....yep that got me mad.
Overall 2 nice birds rode home with Zach and I.
Had fun making memories.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:14 am
King of Spring

No time or chance for any scouting, but did lots of driving. Hunted new land 7 out of 13 days. Got a couple nice invites to hunt. Hunted with friends and family half the time. Hunted 6 states included two never hunted before. Had a lot of fun.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:45 pm
Profile WWW