View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:08 am

Last Man Standing Day 06-01-13 Western Maine Mountains 
King of Spring

Post Last Man Standing Day 06-01-13 Western Maine Mountains
At Bill's Place at 0430. No roost gobbling. Made my way through two traditional roost areas, no gobbling.

Got back to truck via Class 6 road. Open door handle hear birds on the other side of the hard road. Cross hard road back on Class 6 road and can hear at least three gobbling on their own.

I know this piece well. Must go below them to take four wheeler trail to the back of field. Walking down Class 6 road and notice "Posted Signs". Hunting by permission only. WHAT!!!???. This piece has always been open. It must have to do with turkey hunting because these signs are brandy new. Put deke in road and started calling. They came close, one a chest pounder but no love.

It is now 0700 and 80 degrees. . Back to truck, stow gun and gear and head to house to ask permission. Nobody home. :(

Going to stop by Bill's this summer and see what the scoop is. Bill grew up in the house next door. When he gave me permission to hunt he told the neighbors about me and my truck. So I think if I can get Bill to say a word or two I'll get their blessing.

Do you know how hard it was to walk away from three gobbling turkeys on Last Man Standing Day?

Went to the Money Field. Climbed 600 feet to come in the back way. Now it has to be 85 degrees. Thanks LIMBHANGER, I had plenty of water. Sat two hours calling with deke exposed in the highest part of the 50 acre field. WAY OFF in the knee high grass here comes a black turkey. Sucker abandoned his quest halfway to Henrietta. Obviously not the dominate tom of Boss Hollow. I watched him make his way back into the woods.

To add insult as I was leaving the field my last yelp was answered by a distant gobbler in Boss Hollow. Going back to him meant going downhill. I am a Legionnaire. I soldiered up and went after him. He never gobbled again.
I hate that first drop into Boss Hollow. It was as steep as I remember.

From the Money Field I'm glad my journey back was downhill all the way. When I started the truck in the shade the temp said 87 degrees. It was 1100. I called it. Time to go back to the Bay and mow the lawn.

This season is all I wanted it to be. Because we are expectant parents of a new yellow dog pup with a weeks vacation drive to pick up I only took a couple days off in May. A couple funerals during the month postponed any idea of a trip back to camp. My patience at the ground blind paid off. Knowing there was a boss in the area I let three turkeys walk. Thanks to my Dad's divine help the Ground Blind Boss made a spectacular meal and his hooks will be added to the spur necklace my dad made me so many years ago.

My friend and Maine Guide Jim got it done on Last Man Standing Day with this beautiful end of season tom.

Thank you Lord for your blessings upon me. My life is richer for your bestowed bounties. Amen!

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:36 pm
Profile WWW