View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:50 am

Missed! 
Longbeard

Post Missed!
After tagging out the last couple of years and having killed two longbeards the first week of this season, I was beginning to have a pretty high regard for my turkey hunting prowess. Didn't get to hunt too much the middle part of the season due to work, and didn't really want to, as I'm so deadly now that I didn't want to end my season too soon. My only real concern about turkey hunting was that maybe it isn't the challenge it was a few years ago.

I did manage to drag my butt out of bed this morning, and since gobbling is slowing down a little, I decided to hunt a field where I have worked a turkey at mid-morning twice earlier this season. I put a jake and hen decoy set 20 yds north of my hide in a little finger of woods sticking out of the west side of this field, which is about 100 yds wide and about 500 yds long in a north-south orientation. Didn't hear any roost gobbles, nor any hens. Enjoyed watching some deer feed across the field. Finally at 8:30 my yelping was answered by an emphatic gobble from the woods on the other side of the field, down to my southeast. When the next gobble was a bit farther off to the southeast, I yelped again and was answered immediately. No more gobbles, but the blue jays let me know when he entered the field, which has enough crown that he wasn't yet in view. Since he's coming from my 4:00, I slipped around the tree and was set up perfectly for his approach. The fan comes into view first, then this magnificent creature is fully in view, scrutinizing my little peninsula of woods for the hen whose call he heard. Suddenly I don't feel the confidence befitting one of my expertise. My gun's pattern is effective to 40 yards, but how far is he? He's slanting along, reluctant to come too close to this unseen hen. The decoys are of no help with range, as he's not coming to them, he's coming to ME! He must be at 40 now, better shoot before he picks me out. Sight maybe not quite perfectly on his head, and forgetting the trick of clucking to make him extend his neck, I pull the trigger. He wheels and runs over the horizon, showing no sign of injury. There were no feathers on the ground, and when I stepped off the shot, the yardage, while still hard to be sure, could have been 45 or 50.

It's hard to explain to non-turkey-hunting friends how it is possible, with a shotgun, to miss a turkey, on the ground, in a cow pasture. You guys are well aware of the adrenaline rush that is the culprit. Suffice it to say that my self-regard has received a needed adjustment. I love turkey hunting.

Sat May 11, 2013 2:28 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Missed!
It happens. Get him next time.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat May 11, 2013 3:30 pm
King of Spring

playin' hookey wrote:
After tagging out the last couple of years and having killed two longbeards the first week of this season, I was beginning to have a pretty high regard for my turkey hunting prowess. Didn't get to hunt too much the middle part of the season due to work, and didn't really want to, as I'm so deadly now that I didn't want to end my season too soon. My only real concern about turkey hunting was that maybe it isn't the challenge it was a few years ago.

These thoughts and others similar have led to the humbling of many a turkey hunter!
You're not the first and you won't be the last that this will happen to.
It's the Hunting Gods way of letting us know that we are only human!

Sat May 11, 2013 3:41 pm
King of Spring

Like the old saying goes. Shoot at enough and you will miss :mrgreen: . You will get him next time

Sat May 11, 2013 9:11 pm
Longbeard

With most of my friends being non-hunters, it does get interesting trying to explain a miss like that. Everything just sounds like an excuse! Maybe they are :oops:

Oh well! Go get 'em next time!

Sat May 11, 2013 10:31 pm
King of Spring

It happens, I am sure the next match is already in play.....

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon May 13, 2013 8:18 am
King of Spring

It happens to all that have hunted turkey. The thing is those still remain in my head like the one I missed this year. Then went and redeemed myself the next time. You will fair well the next time.

Earl

Mon May 13, 2013 11:50 am
King of Spring

Missing is simply part of it unfortunately. When I listen to someone boasting about having never missed a turkey, I often chuckle internally for it is only a matter of time before they have that humbling experience. Get back up and go after him again no doubt about it.

Tue May 14, 2013 7:23 am
Profile YIM