View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:30 pm

5-8-13 Dad's bird. 
Longbeard

Post 5-8-13 Dad's bird.
Well I was finally able to get my dad a bird this morning. We went out to the prooperty where I had killed my third bird and where we have been hunting the past week or so trying to kill a particular "stud" of a bird. It had just rained the night before and very foggy so as the sky started to lighten I hooted to see if the bird was roosted in his usual location,and were we surprised when he about blew us out of our shoes when he gobbled 70 yards from us. Luckily the woods were still dark and the wet ground helped us make our way around the bird and set up in a bottom he like to walk. after about 10-15 minutes of silence I got a little worried we were to close to the bird, but that all changed and he soon started rolling off the gobbles. About 20 minutes went by and then I heard the sound of him fly down. My dad told me he sees him and he is strutting right to us. I had put out a single hen about 10 yards off our right and he was making a b-line right to it. When he got to about 60 yards my dad told me the bird was starting to angle away from us. I was able to see him by now and was wondering what was going on. I gave him a few soft clucks and purrs and he still angled away. About that time we heard clucking coming from the direction of where he flew down and a trio of jakes soon arrived. My guess is that these jakes were planning on giving the big boy a run for his money and he didnt want any part of it. So when the jakes got to 30 yards I knew the third one in the pack was a super jake so I told my dad go ahead and he smoked him. Done at 6:20. We checked on another bird after we got back to he truck that we worked the other day and he was screaming so we have some plans in the mornig for him.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:39 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: 5-8-13 Dad's bird.
Congrats to all!!

Thu May 09, 2013 10:27 pm
King of Spring

Nice, Always fun to share with family, Congrats!!

Thu May 09, 2013 10:30 pm
King of Spring

Nothing wrong with a super jake! Congrats to all.

Fri May 10, 2013 10:37 am