View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:40 am

Where are we at? 
Jake

Post Where are we at?
Hey guys, what stage in the game regarding gobbler and hen interaction do you think the turkeys are at right now? I was just curious to see what everyone thought. Thanks

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:06 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Where are we at?
I think we are in the Gobbling Lull right now, gobblers with Hens most of the time.. should pick back up in a few days I hope when they start to nest..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:21 pm
King of Spring

I agree... did not hear a bird in the tree or on the ground this morning. Did bump a hen peckin in a woods road at 11:00.

Enjoy the journey & share you passion, take a Kid hunting!

Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

Had one gobble his head off yesterday morning in the tree. The hens got down and marched right to him. He jumped out and never said another word.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:37 pm
Profile WWW
Jake

I was also figuring we were in the gobbling lull. The past 3 days have been relatively slow compared to what I was hearing before season came in. The past 3 mornings, I have only heard 1 gobbler each morning and they gobbled decent on the roost but shutup completely off the roost. I did manage to take a mature bird last week that was pretty hot. He weighed 22 lbs had an 11 inch beard and 1 3/16 spurs.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:05 pm
King of Spring

What are the stages of gobbling?

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:45 pm
King of Spring

Ohh my.... I must be in a crazy place then..... I went out this am...(wed) in franklin county and they were gobblin there crazy fool heads off till 9:30 when they finally busted us unfortunately! Double and triple gobblin..honestely been a long time since I have heard gobblin like that!!

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:29 pm
Jake

skimerhorn, gobbling rates change inversely to breeding periods. When peak breeding occurs, gobblers have little reason to gobble and are therefore much less vocal. When hens start to sit on nest gobblers usually tend to gobble very good. I believe we are in the peak breeding period right now.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:01 pm
Longbeard

In one part of the county Tuesday heard none, where I had heard two earlier. Wednesday heard 5 at two different spots. This morning heard 0 at a fourth spot that did have several gobbling. I have no clue what stage the turkeys are at. I'm at the stage where one needs to give me a shot. This going four mornings a week without an opportunity is tough.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:57 am
Poult

WVBOY wrote:
I think we are in the Gobbling Lull right now, gobblers with Hens most of the time.. should pick back up in a few days I hope when they start to nest..

This is reassuring information. It seems last week I was hearing birds all over the place on A.P. Hill even on a few cool mornings.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:00 pm
Jake

Definetly a lull in eastern va. I believe the cold weather brought it on. I am going to give it a rest for a few days and get after them next week.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:11 pm
Poult

On Tuesday a bird I have been profiling for weeks gobbled hard for half an hour, came to my calls and got within 25 yards, but behind brush with no shot, looked at my hen decoy for a while, then turned and walked away clucking, back the way he had come. Yesterday and this morning at the same spot, not a single gobble, from him or any other bird. This being my first spring turkey hunt, I thought maybe something I did had shut him down. That location had been a gobbling hotspot every time I visited since mid-March.

I have moved around quite a bit in the later mornings the last three days and only heard two gobbles, both responding to crow calls. Nothing on the limb or ground at daybreak. I am hunting on base at Quantico.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:20 pm
Jake

Heard nothing this morning in a known hot spot with a large number of gobblers. Have been consistently hearing 8-10 different birds in the past weeks there every single time I go to this spot and nothing this morning. Couldn't have asked for a more beautiful morning..only downside was that all the birds are staying silent

Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:40 pm
King of Spring

They are henned up bad. Had one gobbler with 6 hens this morning. He gobbled once and then the hens starting going nuts. I called to the lead hen on the roost and got her fired up and angry. However, he flew down first in an open field (gobbled when he hit the ground). All the hens then flew down and joined him. I had a Jake and hen decoy out, but he paid them no mind. I watched him strutt with those hens for 45 minutes. He never gobbled one time. Tough now

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:01 pm
King of Spring

If you were to ask me and a few others. The season is over and the gobblers are back together. But I cannot believe that myself. Here is wants going on.

There are a few of us since opening day we have heard a few gobbles on roost and then nothing. Not one of us has seen or heard a hen since the season started. We have seen 2 to 6 gobblers together nearly everyday not reacting to hen calls of any kind. Folks that have killed are having 2 to 4 birds together but each one has said they had to get around where the birds wanted to go, and that no hens were around.

Today I had 6 longbeards together with no hens around 30 minutes after flydown. They never reacted to any hen calls so I gave them a couple gobbler yelps and clucks, still no reaction.

The ones I and a couple others have killed have come in silent. (2-4 together)

So far the strangest spring season of my life.

Earl

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:10 pm